advertisement

KEF Reference - 107/2, Model Three and 201/2

Hoopsontoast

pfm Member
I've had a hankering to re-visit some KEF speakers, in the Reference range after having a couple of pairs in the past.

I've had both the 104/2 and much newer 201/2, the former I liked but could not get to work in my old room, did not like being near rear walls. The 201/2 were superb, pretty much in every area, the best speaker I have owned, only missing the very lowest bass to be expected from a standmount, if chunky!

I realise a lot of the older models require new woofer foam surrounds, something I've done myself on the 104/2s so that's not an issue.

I believe some of the 90s/00s Reference 'Model #' ranges had boundry compensation built in, like the 201/2, which in my experience worked really well.

With a budget up to ~£1.5k, the following models seem to be in that range:

• 107/2 - Reading online, these seem pretty peerless
  • Model Three & Three-Two - Not too much about these but I like the added midbass and 8" bass drivers.
  • 201/2 - As above, loved these but obviously a lot newer than the others. I've heard the 203/2 & 205/2 range a lot and liked those too but I think over budget. Not interested in the non-2 range with the seperate supertweeters.
I will use my Denon PMA-2000IVR with them (or the Bryston B60R), I know the Denon worked really well with the 201/2 when I used them with the PMA-2500NE.

My room is around 17ft x 10ft so not massive but my Tannoy Stirling TWs worked well in this room, bass wise. This is the room, the speakers will be able to be pulled away from the walls a bit but will need to be say ~300mm max from the rear wall.

I had model 4 many years ago and easily the best speakers I've had.
Those had to go when living in a small house - they sounded 'stifled'
Eventually back into a bigger house I bought some reference model 3. Very good (I still use them) but not a patch on the model 4

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi Rob

I trust you’re well, your old Denon amp is still performing beautifully in my set up. :)

Regarding the observation above, I saw these Kef 203/1s & reckon they’d be excellent in your system -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29433195...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

They may end up within your budget & could be sold easily if they don’t suit you.

I have been watching those on eBay, I think I'd prefer the 201/2 or over an earlier 203/1, somewhat down to aesthetics, not keen on the grey/silver trim and I know I like the 201/2s.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Trouble with that series is the soft touch finish goes manky. Lived mine in cherry though

The 3.2's have boundary compensation but you need them about 2 metres apart and away from the side walls. They like current so how big is your Denon?

advertisement

Back