advertisement

KEF LS50 (Wired)?

BLACKMASS

pfm Member
I was speaking with a friend over the weekend all things Hi-Fi. I mentioned I was looking for a replacement for my Roksan TR-5’s. He mentioned the LS50’s as friend of his heard them and the KEF Blade’s and was shocked how well the LS50 fared.

I must admit to dismissing LS50’s on looks alone and hadn’t looked into them further. After the discussion over the weekend I took another look and they seem to be very well received by most.

I’m happy with my Roksan’s but I know there’s more to be had. My room is small and not ideal, like most I suppose. The rest of my system is a Naim streamer, Well Tempered Versalex and Exposure 3010S2D. Mainly listen to indie, rock and female vocals.

So has anyone had any experience of the KEF LS50 (wired version)?

I’ll hopefully get a home demo in the coming weeks.

Cheers
Rob

I heard a pair of the wireless LS50 being played too loud at a show and they sounded horrible, I went back two or three times to give them another chance with different music, and I reached the same conclusions: they can't handle loud volumes and the demonstrators were deaf. I'm sure they sound great at more moderate volume - but bear in mind.

My first "proper" speakers were KEF; I respect the brand. And KEF Blade 2 I heard another time - in the short time I had, I was impressed.

I heard a pair of the wireless LS50 being played too loud at a show and they sounded horrible, I went back two or three times to give them another chance with different music, and I reached the same conclusions: they can't handle loud volumes and the demonstrators were deaf. I'm sure they sound great at more moderate volume - but bear in mind.

My first "proper" speakers were KEF; I respect the brand. And KEF Blade 2 I heard another time - in the short time I had, I was impressed.

Thanks for your impressions, much appreciated.

I heard the Wireless at a show in a room that seemingly was oversized for them. I was well impressed indeed - and IF one day I am forced to downsize then they will be serious option.

Great speaker - VERY picky about amplification. You could definitely go down the rabbit hole trying to get the best out of them, I'd imagine something like a Hegel integrated would do a great job.

It's not necessarily raw power the NAD 70 a channel integrated I heard them on worked fantastically well and the Yamaha AS801 is said to drive them well but a number of amps that I tried just sounded plain boring with this speaker - no grip or control.

Great speaker - VERY picky about amplification. You could definitely go down the rabbit hole trying to get the best out of them, I'd imagine something like a Hegel integrated would do a great job.

It's not necessarily raw power the NAD 70 a channel integrated I heard them on worked fantastically well and the Yamaha AS801 is said to drive them well but a number of amps that I tried just sounded plain boring with this speaker - no grip or control.

I'm extremely happy with my Exposure 3010 at the moment. Do you think 110 watts would be enough for them?

I've been comparing the LS50 v LS50W in recent demos.

The wireless version has more pronounced bass, if a little forced and unnatural. Demoed the original version powered by a Naim Atom, sounded very similar, just lighter weight in the low-end. Agree that they don't play well above moderate levels, begin to sound quite hard in the midrange, it killed the enjoyment for me.

Having heard the Roksan's I would imagine the LS50 would be a sideways step.

A couple of bookshelf speakers that are on my list at the mo, which might be worth considering and provide a proper upgrade;
Buchardt s300/s400
Amphion Argon 3s

put them on heavy stands at the appropriate height with a smooth-leaning amplifier (i really liked the yamaha AS-2000) and they're great. I preferred them with a subwoofer.

I ultimately moved on because I found them a little hard in the top end at the volumes I like to listen at, but in a small room with the right amp, they're great speakers.

I've been comparing the LS50 v LS50W in recent demos.

The wireless version has more pronounced bass, if a little forced and unnatural. Demoed the original version powered by a Naim Atom, sounded very similar, just lighter weight in the low-end. Agree that they don't play well above moderate levels, begin to sound quite hard in the midrange, it killed the enjoyment for me.

Having heard the Roksan's I would imagine the LS50 would be a sideways step.

A couple of bookshelf speakers that are on my list at the mo, which might be worth considering and provide a proper upgrade;
Buchardt s300/s400
Amphion Argon 3s

From the price point I thought they might be a sideways step. Thanks for the recommendations too. I'll have alook into them.

Another speaker I’d like to get a home demo of is the Russell K 50’s. I’ve heard them, very briefly at a dealers and was impressed.

advertisement

Back