advertisement

Keaveny to leave Radio 6

Only really like Guy Garvey’s programme now. My fave was when Rad Mac was on for a couple of hours every evening. Happy evenings with a beer or two by the wood burner in the kitchen; oh and Pipeline on Sunday on radio Scotland.

I don't like the direction the latest controller is taking the station, trying to attract a younger audience

This in particular is depressing reading. 6 Music was established specifically to cater for an older >20s audience that didn't want to listen to the mindless ego-****ing pabulum that is BBC Radio Menopause/2. But there you go... The only policy the BBC pursues now is dumbing-down "fi de yoof, innit brah?!" - 'cos young people are famous for their good taste and great judgement in all matters...

---

Not sure who's getting 6 at 64KBPS? I get 128KBPS which sounds more than acceptable for casual listening via the Arcam DT91, and even better through the A/N DAC.

Shame about Keaveny, especially as the odious Craig Charles is in for him - just tolerable when on home turf with the R&S Show thanks to the excellent music - but his creepy smackhead vibe makes my emmas itch, and as for Lauren Laverne - over to R3 the moment she bubbles-up like an unflushable turd...

This in particular is depressing reading. 6 Music was established specifically to cater for an older >20s audience that didn't want to listen to the mindless ego-****ing pabulum that is BBC Radio Menopause/2. But there you go... The only policy the BBC pursues now is dumbing-down "fi de yoof, innit brah?!" - 'cos young people are famous for their good taste and great judgement in all matters...

Ever wonder why presenters and DJs that were on radio 1 move to radio 6 and then to radio 2? You're supposed to move with them. Marc Riley will ALWAYS be on Radio 6. I suspect Huey and Iggy may be transitioning.

I suspect Huey and Iggy may be transitioning.

Dang, I think you may be on to something...

iggy-pop-and-christian-dior-python-lady-dior-handbag-gallery-77d66a3398-small.jpg

Find it a bit weird that people on a "hi-fi" forum are listening to music on the BBC at 64kbps.

There are alternatives these days y'know?

We are in bed, the HiFi is downstairs.
We use DAB radio box thingy upstairs in the bedroom.
I have a Pure iPod dock wired into the AUX inputs and use the iPod Classic if bored, but generally I am busy waking up, taking medication and drinking tea. So radio box thingy it is.
It also streams V.O.B. radio, but that is boring first thing of a morning. (4 hrs behind us)

I see no reason for an alternative.

Shame about Keaveny, especially as the odious Craig Charles is in for him - just tolerable when on home turf with the R&S Show thanks to the excellent music - but his creepy smackhead vibe makes my emmas itch,

Yup. Craig Charles plays some decent tunes but his character gives me the creeps.
His poetry days were interesting, such energy and anger, but Red Dwarf etc. never did it for me.
He appears to enjoy making insinuations of a sexual nature, then laughing at his own pun.
Nope.

I am not sure what your “emmas” are @earlofsodbury , but I think I get your drift.

In my opinion the four best shows on 6Music are those that are broadcast just once per week: Tom Ravenscroft late on Friday evening (especially the 'Ravers Hour'), Huey Morgan on Saturday morning, Cerys Matthews on Sunday morning and Don Letts' Culture Clash Radio late on Sunday evening. Perhaps it's a case of less is more?

Cerys Matthews show bores me to death.

The Wife doesn’t tolerate it much more, but frequently mentions seeing Cerys in St.Davids once when we were on holidays.

Huey Morgan I like, but it is too hip-hop for The Wife. Ravenscroft voice grinds me, as does whatshername, something to do with a biscuit? The Hob-nob woman. Her voice is like nails down a blackboard, makes me feel ill.

Cerys is my weekly ironing challenge. Get it done before she comes on, and for every minute I overrun add on another household chore.

Cerys is my weekly ironing challenge. Get it done before she comes on, and for every minute I overrun add on another household chore.

I like ironing.

One of the things I can do (very slowly) that I like to do. Used to have to iron shirts for work, then had to iron uniforms. I don’t like ironing pleated skirts though :( which I had to do when my daughter was at school. Then there is the pre-ironing task of drying shirts on a coat-hanger.
A different thread.

Music wise it's the internet these days. Paradise Radio is our go to. FLAC streaming through an iPad mini docked into a Meridian F80 in the kitchen and through the phone when we're out and about in the car (has a Mark Levinson sound system - sounds good)

BBC Radio from a music perspective is dead to me. Has been for quite a few years now.

I will take this opportunity to say how awful I find Gemma Cairney to be on 6 Music.
Even The Wife cannot stand her voice or attempts at making fills between tunes. Get rid.

I will take this opportunity to say how awful I find Gemma Cairney to be on 6 Music.
Even The Wife cannot stand her voice or attempts at making fills between tunes. Get rid.
I actually like Gemma Cairney. Not as much as Shaun Keaveney, but more than Lauren Laverne.
Gemma has that knack of sounding like she's talking to you directly, something that was once common on the radio, but seems to be increasingly rare these days. You can also hear what she's saying as well, which isn't always the case, particularly when it comes to the likes of Cerys (the worst offender, she just mumbles much of the time), and the aforementioned Ms Laverne.

I think the whole station has gone off the rails, a couple of years ago I could listen to it all day with barely a switch over (maybe for Lauren).

Since the big presenter shuffle it has taken a big nose dive IMO.

Really? There's more talking / indecipherable muttering than music played on 6 music these days.

They can't afford the royalties anymore. Cutbacks. Started with having a news bulletin every 1/2 hour to fill the time then they have to spout lots of nonsense in-between each track they play for as long as they can.

The BBC has a ridiculously stupid fee arrangement with how much they have to pay to play any music.

And Lauren Laverne earns how much ?

Really? There's more talking / indecipherable muttering than music played on 6 music these days.

They can't afford the royalties anymore. Cutbacks. Started with having a news bulletin every 1/2 hour to fill the time then they have to spout lots of nonsense in-between each track they play for as long as they can.

6 Music only have news hourly and none overnight.

Cheers BB

I was (am) not fond of his presentation style. He uses that 'talk over the music thing' too much and you can never catch what he is saying as the music cuts out and in too aggressively and the levels are wrong - the music being too loud reference his voice. It does not help that his voice/diction is not a model of broadcast clarity. So the whole thing becomes painful to try to keep track of.
I did not mind the kind of miserable shtick of his breakfast show.
Re your first paragraph - think that might have been the point, taking the Mick out of all the super-smooth DJs past and present.
Not everyone's cup of tea though, can understand that.

advertisement

Back