advertisement

Kashmir to disappear?

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
Modi following his populist instincts has plunged Kashmir into turmoil. The government moved tens of thousands of troops into India's northern-most region to counter any unrest. The removal of Kashmir's special status is bound to antagonise Pakistan. There have been several wars over the area and Modi could be provoking another one.

According to local journalists, the change is very largely cosmetic as much of the self governing powers of Indian Kashmir have been stripped away progressively over the years since partition. Not an excuse and it isn't saying that it won't cause problems.

More of a problem, and one making very little news outside of India is the massive upsurge in inter-racial, inter-religious violence; what gets called right-wing extremism in NA and Europe. India and Pakistan - 21st century countries with so many of their population living to medieval rules and beliefs, tolerances and bigotry.

According to local journalists, the change is very largely cosmetic as much of the self governing powers of Indian Kashmir have been stripped away progressively over the years since partition. Not an excuse and it isn't saying that it won't cause problems.

More of a problem, and one making very little news outside of India is the massive upsurge in inter-racial, inter-religious violence; what gets called right-wing extremism in NA and Europe. India and Pakistan - 21st century countries with so many of their population living to medieval rules and beliefs, tolerances and bigotry.

Modi has been stirring up pro-Hindu nationalism for a while and has promised to restore the greatness that more than a thousand years of foreign rule had sapped from India. He is a populist and therefore directly favours the majority over all minority groups. Kashmir autonomy has been stripped away in the name of Hindu nationalism as the economy falters big time.

This is mainly about allowing Hindu Indians from the rest of India to take land in Kashmir and turn it into another Hindu state. Modi does not like the idea of religious minorities in India

FFS. I really wish all religions would just die.
Rejoice, it is what is currently happening. In Western Europe, churches are nearly empty apart from weddings and funerals. But nowadays the holy wars are about LBGTQ+ rights (did I leave out any letters ?), feminism, veganism, racism. I wouldn't mind about the topics themselves, as long as there weren't too many weapons or bombs involved. But this is changing. And I am still waiting for the person telling me why this isn't bigotry (the use of this word being still compulsory on fora although it's gently becoming really tiring).

I didn't know until this recent episode that the historical entity of Kashmir is currently split between three countries: India, Pakistan and China. I was previously unaware of the China connection. Given the history of Kashmir and the degree of mutual belligerence between India, Pakistan and China, all nuclear states, it seems to me that India has acted in a very dangerous manner.

Reading a wonderful book about Kashmir at the moment , its the autobiography of an ex royal marine who is a good friend of ours, who was principal at a school in Srinagar from 1962 to 1986 . It was and is a christian school , over many years we have heard the stories of the violence , how it was burned down several times and it rose from the ashes and many other wonderful and inspiring stories . Kashmir has always had many problems and cycles of violence. Its a complex situation .

http://ispck.org.in/viewbook_info.php?pkid=1095

Rejoice, it is what is currently happening. In Western Europe, churches are nearly empty apart from weddings and funerals. But nowadays the holy wars are about LBGTQ+ rights (did I leave out any letters ?), feminism, veganism, racism. I wouldn't mind about the topics themselves, as long as there weren't too many weapons or bombs involved. But this is changing. And I am still waiting for the person telling me why this isn't bigotry (the use of this word being still compulsory on fora although it's gently becoming really tiring).

The hardship born of curtailed bigotry.

if i play along, i would grant you a large part of the comfy west, but LBGTQ+ has not replaced 0,001% of islam in 9.999% of the world.

It’s not bigotry, it’s hilarious. I keep getting this picture of you in plus fours and a bowler hat with a made up English name. Had you not existed, it would have been necessary for Derek and Clive to invent you.
Keep sharing.

I keep getting this picture of you in plus fours and a bowler hat with a made up English name.

Like 'Cooper'?

6fcbd6d1-4a98-41b2-b519-5396c98ca25a-2060x1236.jpeg

I see Kashmir had elections this week, millions stayed at home in protest . I was amazed to hear that India is one of the leading countries in persecution of Christians and I guess they are trying to wipe out the Muslim majority in Kashmir too ??

I see Kashmir had elections this week, millions stayed at home in protest . I was amazed to hear that India is one of the leading countries in persecution of Christians and I guess they are trying to wipe out the Muslim majority in Kashmir too ??

When religion enters politics, at any level, WATCH OUT.
Politics guided by religious principles is great, politics ruled/run by/for religion is far worse than any nightmare.

At the moment, you have militant, fundamentalist Hinduism running India. 'Nough said.

Things are likely to get worse before they get better. Remove religious repression and people flock to it, very often not for the better of anyone except the majority believers/adherents.

forums

advertisement

Back