advertisement

Kan channel imbalance

Julian H

pfm Member
Hi

I have a lovely pair of mk1 Kans with a noticeable channel imbalance across the tweeters. Both tweeters are working, neither are distorted.

Would anyone know for sure if this is a crossover fault or a tweeter fault?

They are S/no 25115/6 with the Hiquphon tweeters

Appreciate some help from those in the know!

Many thanks, Julian

Have you tried moving the speakers around in different positions, it could be the room making one sound louder?

Have they got red/black sticky out sockets? if not then it sounds like they have wicon electrolytic caps in the xover, these are notorious for going out of spec by as much as 100%.
I would pull the quieter tweeter and have a look to see which caps are in there (wicons are grey) check the tweeter with a meter ,should be about 6 ohms and report back.
Serial number sounds slightly early for above though,they should have scan speaks at that age.

i am afraid no-one here has the powers of clairvoyance required to tell you what is wrong with your speakers.

it may be a room related effect or indeed a hearing related effect. unless of course you have swapped them over.

if you are certain its not amplifier/signal/hearing/room related then you are going to have to open them up.

removing the b110 is an arse but once done you can recap the crossovers (which is certainly favourite) and then test them before re siliconing the b110's back in.

Obviously both speakers need to be done as its most unlikely that the other crossover is without fault.

good luck

Hi Julian,
I have taken a part lots of linn kans, saras and isobariks and know the pit falls very well.
You cant remove the x over with the tweeter in place as the mounting screws for it are fitted through the tweeter hole .
so you may as well remove it first and you may find its damaged and fix your kans without making lots of fiddly work for yourself.
Also removing the b110 is a risky business as it can damage the baffle rebate easily as its made from 12mm mdf .and is only 6mm thick where the driver sits.
have you got the grill removed?

Hi
I have removed the grilles yes. Do the crossovers come through the tweeter hole or do i need to remove both drivers to get the crossover out?

Hi,
The x over wont come out through the tweeter hole,
its more likely to be a faulty hf unit than a capacitor .
I would remove the quieter unit of the 2 as the other cant go louder.
To do this remove the 3 wood screws fixing in the tweeter and then screw into the plastic of one of the holes in the tweeter front plate an m5 treaded bolt then use this to pull out the unit , bass unit is done the same way only a thicker bolt.
It takes a bit of force and accuracy but does not damage the baffle.
I would then test the removed hf unit against the louder one by making a first order xover from a 3.3 uf cap.

Hi

Thank you very much for your guidance on this guys. I have removed both (Hiquphon D20-LP-1) tweeters very carefully from the cabinets. They both measure 6ohms and swapping between Kans, the same cabinet / crossover is always quieter. I guess that means the crossovers are the culprit. So, now I have to build up the courage to remove the bass drivers!

Cheers, Julian

advertisement

Back