advertisement

Kallax question.

plum

pfm Member
Hi folks,

Just bought a 4x4 Kallax for my vinyl and I know there are a few fishies on here using them, so would be grateful for some thoughts.
I will be using 3 rows, pretty much full. My slightly dodgy knees say use the top 3 rows and keep bottom row for those natty little baskets. My very (un)technical logic says a low centre of gravity is best for a unit like this considering the weight, so I’d be safer starting from bottom and working up.

The unit will be orientated the correct way, fastened to the wall and the back tacked with hard board for extra strength.

Is this something I need to fuss about ? I’d rather ask than find out the hard way !

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

Hi folks,

Just bought a 4x4 Kallax for my vinyl and I know there are a few fishies on here using them, so would be grateful for some thoughts.
I will be using 3 rows, pretty much full. My slightly dodgy knees say use the top 3 rows and keep bottom row for those natty little baskets. My very (un)technical logic says a low centre of gravity is best for a unit like this considering the weight, so I’d be safer starting from bottom and working up.

The unit will be orientated the correct way, fastened to the wall and the back tacked with hard board for extra strength.

Is this something I need to fuss about ? I’d rather ask than find out the hard way !

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

It will be fine oriented as you describe. I have a 4x4 with a 1x4 plonked on top of it, and the bottom row has the baskets full of cassettes, obscure wires, cleaning stuff and general shite. The 4x4 has hardboard, but it’s not attached to the wall because of an inconsiderately placed radiator (permanently turned off) that’s in the way.

As long as the long shelves are horizontal, then they’re unlikely to cause problems.

Top tip: if you can get some spare matching shelves from IKEA customer service, insert them into the bottom row for extra support; they also make for great dividers so that a full complement of LPs doesn't lean hard to the left or right when you remove a gatefold LP or a few of records at a time. I did this with my 2x2 Kallax plus my 2x2 Mixxit unit from B&Q and I have zero concerns about them taking the load from being full of LPs.

Two things:

If it is to be permanent then use wood glue in the dowels and all joints where 2 pieces of ‘wood’ meet. This will make it much stronger.

Cut some lengths of 33cm (the width of the cubes?) baton and use double sided tape to stick 12” (or a little more if you wish) from the front of the unit to the bottom of the cubes to stop your LPs disappearing to the back of the unit.

Two things:

If it is to be permanent then use wood glue in the dowels and all joints where 2 pieces of ‘wood’ meet. This will make it much stronger.

Cut some lengths of 33cm (the width of the cubes?) baton and use double sided tape to stick 12” (or a little more if you wish) from the front of the unit to stop your LPs disappearing to the back of the unit.
Excellent advice - nothing marks a wall more than LPs or books (or the bottom edges of picture frames) rubbing against them (apart from a kid with crayons of course)

Two things:

Cut some lengths of 33cm (the width of the cubes?) baton and use double sided tape to stick 12” (or a little more if you wish) from the front of the unit to stop your LPs disappearing to the back of the unit.
I did the same with the back-stops, but just screwed them in. Works really well.
I would add that securing it well to the wall will help with rigidity. Mine is a 5x5 arrangement, with books & cupboards along the lower run & LP’s along the top 3 runs. Rock solid.

What ever you do fix it to the wall, I can’t stress to much how important that is.

Pete

I use this 3x3cm L-shaped PVC to keep my records flush at the front; I've arranged it so that they protrude from the front by 1cm. It's just easier to manage that way. You can either use blu tac to hold the angled plastic in place or use screws. It doesn't really matter as there isn't going to be an excessive force on the stopper as you only slide a record in till it meets the stopper then you stop sliding.

advertisement

Back