advertisement

K18 - end of an era

honmanm

pfm Member
Oh well, all good things come to an end. In this case, the stylus on the K18-II (I wonder if it is one of the last actually in use?).

I've put a Golding Elektra on the deck, so the flow of music is restored, but now it's time to think of the next step.

The domestic context is a household with primary school kids (have progressed from knocking speakers over, to wanting to play records). My taste is round-earth, Quad style i.e. I dislike gear that is ultimately fatiguing no matter how impressive it sounds at first.

System context is a classic LP12 early '90s style with RB300 arm, and Harbeth P3ESR mini-monitors. Assume a MM phono stage. It's a system that tends to punish anything that is a bit bright.

Since the speakers have a bass bump around 70Hz and fall off rapidly below that, a cartridge with fuller bass around 40Hz won't go amiss. This is the main difference between the K18 and Goldring Elektra - the latter is a tad brigher (fake detail) and the bass player might as well not have been present at the recording sessions (though not entirely the fault of the cartridge).

Clearaudio Aurum Classic.
Not expensive, warm, bass boost, not bright or analytical, just music.

Nagaoka Cartridges I have used have a nice warm sound and presents the music in what I would consider to be a round-earth style that the OP prefers. IME they give a sound on the warmer side of neutral. Music sounds natural without sounding bright or forward.

Thanks for the suggestions - the other I remember from past discussions was the Goldring 1000 series.

By the way the Elektra is not at all a bad cartridge, after an evening playing records I was wrong to say "fake detail" - it is all there. However somewhere in the system the bass is leaking out onto the floor (and I think tilting the perceived balance towards the top-end) and that will be the subject of the next witch-hunt.

advertisement

Back