advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything, it's safer to set the voltage of the amp lower and let it run warmer... But 220 --> 240 should not be a great problem either way.

But not everywhere is 240v as said earlier, it was 250v+ in my last place & 220v amps didn't run "a little bit warmer" they were over the line with buzzing transformers & reservoir caps too hot to touch... Not cool.

Anyway, looking at the diagram I posted it looks as though you can change the primary input from pin 024 to 025 [or vice versa] to change between 220v-240v.

But not everywhere is 240v as said earlier, it was 250v+ in my last place & 220v amps didn't run "a little bit warmer" they were over the line with buzzing transformers & reservoir caps too hot to touch... Not cool.
Too hot is OK. That's where the excess voltage is going. Too little voltage is a serious problem.

I may be wrong, being electronically incompetent, but I too would feel safer having an amp set to 240 rather than 220 if the local voltage is over 230 and maybe 240+.

Anyway, from the schematic posted by Istari Knight it looks like you can set it for 240 by connecting (024) and (025) crosswise. But please do not take my word for it, since I am incompetent.

Assuming all goes according to plan I will certainly try the amp out when it arrives. But since I know nothing about electronics I'm thinking it might be worth sending to a tech for a service. Anyone near Whitchurch in north Hampshire that could do this?

Thanks,
Nick

The 1010 is an impressive piece of engineering, its loaded to the gunnels with tech but for straight analogue reproduction yes I do believe a 770ES would show it a clean pair of heels.

Would certainly make for an interesting comparison as the Sony is, if not the best amp I've owned, right up there as one of them. The JVC is interesting as it shows the Japanese were years ahead of us in the UK with the implementation of internal dac etc.

Would certainly make for an interesting comparison as the Sony is, if not the best amp I've owned, right up there as one of them. The JVC is interesting as it shows the Japanese were years ahead of us in the UK with the implementation of internal dac etc.

What I reallly like about it is the design is very carefully thought it wrt SQ and it shows. Transformer windings are really thick and it uses some very posh components throughout the design.
I had a really good listen to it over the last couple of day and it is staying put. I could not go back to the slight upper mid hardness that the NAIM gear has.
Mark came over and although not wowed by it as I am he does think it's very good and can understand why I rave about it so much.

What I reallly like about it is the design is very carefully thought it wrt SQ and it shows.

:)

A friend of mine (who's a sound engineer and also lectures in acoustics) had a look at my 770ES some time ago and as you say about the JVC, it's engineered with SQ in mind. He took the lid off the Sony and had a snoop around with occasional mutterings of 'ooh I like how they've done this/that - really good design' etc etc.

I haven't owned my last 'big Jap' that's for sure. ;)

I'm surprised the ones on eBay are still around!

A few caps may have leaked but are not much to fix.

I did have a wobble wrt to the phono stage but as soon I saw the leaky caps I knew things could only get better, they did. We did some comparison to various iterations of the NSIM 323 cards in an external box and they were good, some very, very good but the internal stage of the JVC was better, if slightly more considered in SQ with less apparent dynamics but I think that's a trick of the 323 circuit and once removed you actually hear more.
The phono stage is actually very posh using some ultra quiet jets and some expensive caps.

York(ish).

Listening, chat, BBQ, booze......I've done three and they were right laugh.

Nice BnB in the village too.

Thanks but that is too far. It sounds good but it must be >250 miles from here and my wife needs a lot of TLC.

Shame it's not darn sarf!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back