advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

I think you may missing the point of why this amp is liked so much here. It's a one box solution, although that box is quite big and heavy. The integrated amp is very good, the phono stage is good and the DAC is very good, despite the DAC chip being a little dated.

No reason why the Auralic Aries mini could not be plugged into the DAC of the amp.
In fact, having just acquired one of these, I am thinking of a similar set up as well

No reason why the Auralic Aries mini could not be plugged into the DAC of the amp.
In fact, having just acquired one of these, I am thinking of a similar set up as well

Of course not, but why seek out this particular amp if you're going to plug in an external DAC?

Is this synchronicity at play? This is also my chosen path at present, if only I could get my hands on an Auralic.

If you dont need the Dac, you can get the AX-1100 for cheap, the analog out should be the same, or better..

I'm looking for another beast the Akai AM-95, but unfortunately, very rare and expensive..

If you dont need the Dac, you can get the AX-1100 for cheap, the analog out should be the same, or better..

I'm looking for another beast the Akai AM-95, but unfortunately, very rare and expensive..

I have an Akai AM-93, which is pretty much identical apart from the DAC which they improved for the 95, great sounding amp though!! the AM-73 is also similar. Good luck in your search though, only ones I've seen have been rather expensive :eek:

Of course not, but why seek out this particular amp if you're going to plug in an external DAC?

No he's not going to plug in an external DAC, he's going to use the JVC DAC in the amp but have the AURALiC as a "very versatile" music source instead of a CD player for example.

If the JVC is as good as they say it is, this could be a great combo.

After going through all reviews in this thread I went ahead and bought the amp from Canada. For what I paid I don't really see why everyone is so happy about it. My speakers are Canton ergo 620 and I have used the digital input(optical) as well as analog input(CD) which was connected to a SONY UDA1 as DAC. My previous experience were with NAD T747 receiver, Kyocera A-710 integrated amplifier and a Harman Kardon HK990 all of which are far cheaper than systems mentioned by many of you here.

Will it improve with some use?

After reviewing all the reviews in this thread I went ahead and bought the amp from Canada. For I what I paid I don't really see why everyone is so happy about it. My speakers are Canton ergo 620 and I have used the digital input(optical) as well as analog input(CD) which was connected to a SONY UDA1 as DAC. My previous experience were with NAD T747 receiver, Kyocera A-710 integrated amplifier and a Harman Kardon HK990 all of which are far cheaper than systems mentioned by many of you here.

Will it improve with some use?

I did not notice much of a burn in time but your issue could be a bottleneck down the line. When I first got mine I tried it with some old Arcam 20 speakers and it sounded good but not great. Plugging it into some more revealing speakers and it was a different story.

Hmmm.... seems odd. I did find that bass firmed up after a day or so, are you running through a transformer?

Took mine a little while to fully 'open-up' and for the bass to drop. It sounded very transparent in comparison to previous kit from day one though.

I've finally plugged the Victor version of the 1010 (bought from Gassor) into my system and very pleasantly surprised. It drives my Obelisks with complete ease and its a very musical but detailed sound.
The DAC is surprisingly good and a very full bodied sound
I did a very brief comparison with my Hegel H360 and it fared extremely well. The Hegel has an airier sound and maybe a bit more detail and refinement, but the Victor feels a bit more 'fun'

I tried the Phono MC input as well and its quite average at best with my Benz Wood but that may be due to loading issues. Will try the MM input over the weekend

I do like the bass control knob and when I turn up the bass a bit it sounds great - without losing any grip at all.

Does anyone have a soft copy of the user manual for this amp, by any chance? Would love a copy

Thanks for the write up Banjo. The phono is just as good as the DAC, so something is not quite right there.

In the same league as a Hegal 360 for £450!!

I wouldn't say that the DAC was particularly 'full bodied'. To me it has a unique 3D (probably fake) layered soundstage, the best I've heard.

I've finally plugged the Victor version of the 1010 (bought from Gassor) into my system and very pleasantly surprised. It drives my Obelisks with complete ease and its a very musical but detailed sound.
The DAC is surprisingly good and a very full bodied sound
I did a very brief comparison with my Hegel H360 and it fared extremely well. The Hegel has an airier sound and maybe a bit more detail and refinement, but the Victor feels a bit more 'fun'

I tried the Phono MC input as well and its quite average at best with my Benz Wood but that may be due to loading issues. Will try the MM input over the weekend

I do like the bass control knob and when I turn up the bass a bit it sounds great - without losing any grip at all.

Banjo's view of this amp is pretty close to mine. My experience is that the phono stage is 'slightly above average' but its not the star of the show. Driving Obs with ease and having a great DAC are what makes this amp for me. I also like the ability to slightly lift the bass which is nice for late night listening.

advertisement

Back