advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

It does get hot, especially if you select 'DA Convertor Direct'.

That’s surprising! What exactly is heating up in that mode?

PS With vintage computers, which I guess this amp is not far off being, it tends to be good practice to apply heatsinks to any rare and valuable chips that aren’t fitted with them and run hot, and to check and refresh heatsink compound on those that were fitted with them. Just lowering operating temp a few degrees can extend working life noticeably.

That’s surprising! What exactly is heating up in that mode?

PS With vintage computers, which I guess this amp is not far off being, it tends to be good practice to apply heatsinks to any rare and valuable chips that aren’t fitted with them and run hot, and to check and refresh heatsink compound on those that were fitted with them. Just lowering operating temp a few degrees can extend working life noticeably.
Sounds like good advice but that section of the amp already has fairly substantial heatsinking, clearly visible through the cooling slots in the case. If digital mode is selected that corner of the amp gets measurably warmer.

Ah, that fully explains it! I assumed ‘DA’ was the digital audio mode and it was some DAC circuitry over-heating for some reason.

Just wondering what optical cables people are using with their JVC as I have only ever used the supplied one that came in the box new from Canada. Should give an improvement I'd expect.

I forgot to mention on this thread that back in March I noticed that my AX-Z1010TN seemed to be playing up: low audio, lacking punch, and going into protection mode when the volume was cranked up to 12 o'clock. I sent it to @toprepairman in the summer and it turned out that a dry joint had caused a resistor in the power amp section to fail, with the result it was only getting half the voltage (IIRC). Well, it was an easy fix, and it's back to it's glorious best since then! Thanks to Henry for curing the fault!

Test report here, from german magazine.

Interesting, they are showing the input capacitance of the Moving Magnet stage as 170pF

Any opinions on this?

Input-Capacitance.jpg

advertisement

Back