advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

They are so good, there seems to be a temptation for people to grab more than one. You don’t see many people selling them on either.

Prices definitely going up for these JVC amps:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=133463429279

>£650 asking price, and that's the previous model to the AX-Z1010 with no K2 processing. Of course, whether anyone bites is another matter...

I bought one of these off eBay a few years ago. Unfortunately, one channel wasn't working properly on arrival, so it went back. However, even from 1 channel, the JVC AX-Z911 definitely sounded good to my ears using the in-built DAC. I would like to hear one against a AX-1010 with the K2 processor DAC.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A big thank you to Douglas (Gassor on here) who yesterday loaned me his Victor AX-Z921- the Japanese version of the AX-Z1010TN.
I set it up last night, and have let it play in a bit. Not going to say anything sound-wise until I have had a good listen over a few days.

All I will say is that the black finish is very fetching compared to the grey of the western version.

That's from the seller StereoPassion- has all the big '80s TOTL amps and usually not particularly good value imo.

It looks like most of the components he's selling are 220V versions. This suggests to me that he's buying them from Germany and reselling them at a considerably higher price. I'm not sure whether this would still be an issue with UK mains voltages. Do many people still have 240V these days?

A big thank you to Douglas (Gassor on here) who yesterday loaned me his Victor AX-Z921- the Japanese version of the AX-Z1010TN.
I set it up last night, and have let it play in a bit. Not going to say anything sound-wise until I have had a good listen over a few days.

All I will say is that the black finish is very fetching compared to the grey of the western version.

Tease............at least give us a clue if it's thumbs up or down?

Prices definitely going up for these JVC amps:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=133463429279

>£650 asking price, and that's the previous model to the AX-Z1010 with no K2 processing. Of course, whether anyone bites is another matter...

I would happily pay that for a well cared for amp in excellent order as this amp sounds like it could suit my tastes and speakers. However, that seller is painful to deal with as I found out earlier in the year and I wouldn't even bother, he offers some mint looking kit which is usually priced too high and often 220v or even 110v, with little interest in describing if the unit has been checked over etc.

I would happily pay that for a well cared for amp in excellent order as this amp sounds like it could suit my tastes and speakers. However, that seller is painful to deal with as I found out earlier in the year and I wouldn't even bother, he offers some mint looking kit which is usually priced too high and often 220v or even 110v, with little interest in describing if the unit has been checked over etc.

That seller cannot even be bothered to take a full set of good photos to backup his description.

Best look for a good used example and get someone like @Arkless Electronics to service it and check it over.

I think you're correct- a few months back he listed a Philips FA960 (which is an excellent TOTL '80s effort). I'm convinced he bought it from a Dutch vintage retailer for about 240 euros, and then immediately listed it for £399. Fair enough I suppose but it's a 220v version being sold in the UK- not ideal.

Was yours a new one from Canada? Feel I need to get mine checked to make sure the bias etc is correct

Mine was bought from Marktplaats which is a Dutch auction site that is popular there. The amp suffered a bent shaft on the big volume knob during transit but toprepairman fixed that, checked it over and converted it to 240V.

It's the amp that appears in this video (serial number matches):

Tease............at least give us a clue if it's thumbs up or down?

Ha well, I want to give it a good listen, last night was more setting up. Also, it hasn't been on for a couple of months before last night so I'm sure tonight will be a good chance to get some proper listening done....

Ha well, I want to give it a good listen, last night was more setting up. Also, it hasn't been on for a couple of months before last night so I'm sure tonight will be a good chance to get some proper listening done....

Well, now I have finally had some time to myself to listen to the 1010.
And...

Firstly the PCM56-P twin dac with the K2 interface.
I made notes whilst I was listening which I will refer to.

It's obvious that this dac does timing and rhythm very well- which I suppose is down to the K2. It takes a clear hold of the movement in music and gives it correct placement in the hifi time/space continuum:p
From my real-time notes (always capitalised for ease of reference)

"PINK FLOYD: LET THERE BE MORE LIGHT M4A:

AMBIENT DETAILS ARE WELL-RECONSTRUCTED, EG ECHO DECAY TIME ON ISOLATED VOCALS.
SOUNDSTAGE WIDTH: 3.5/5 VERY GOOD BUT ARTIFICIAL SPREADING? OR JUST AS INTENDED?

DREAMER'S BALL-QUEEN

CLARITY OF SEPERATION- RHYTHMIC NUANCES OF BASS GUITAR AND ELECTRIC GUITAR/ACOUSTIC ALL WELL DELINEATED.
THINGS LIKE DEACON'S SLIDES CLEARLY AUDIBLE.

TONE THOUGH- IS IT THE MISSING PIECE OF THE JIGSAW?

THE DETAIL RETRIEVAL IS GOOD, GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME AND THESE OLD SPEAKERS...BUT SOMETHING'S NAGGING ME ABOUT THE OVERALL TONAL COLOUR. TO ME A LITTLE BLAND, NOT ENOUGH HARMONIC RICHNESS LIKE THE REAL THING.

VOICE VERY-WELL HANDLED, NUANCES OF VIBRATO AND BREATHING/DELIVERY APPARENT.

JEALOUSY- QUEEN:

CYMBAL WASHES WELL-HANDLED, DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CYMBAL TYPES/SWELL SPEED APPARENT

A BIT OF THAT “ARTIFICAL” WIDENING APPARENT ON BACKING VOX PLACEMENT

WHITE BIRD- IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY 24/192 VINYL RIP (DOWNSAMPLED)

DUAL LEAD VOX HARMONY CLEARLY SEPERATED. TIMING IS OBVIOUSLY A GOOD ASPECT OF THIS AMP/DAC

AGAIN, TONALLY NOT MAKING ME SWOON, ALL A TOUCH CLINICAL.

SO FAR I FEEL LIKE IF THIS AMP HAD A MORE HARMONICALLY VIVID PRESENTATION I'D BUY ONE, BUT THAT'S WHATS GIVING ME PAUSE- THE TONE.

DON'T THINK ITS ANY BETTER AT FOLLOWING BASS PARTS THAN THE AUREX SB77..WHICH ADMITTEDLY WAS VERY GOOD AT THAT.

FEEL LIKE I AM ADMIRING THE AMP/DAC BUT NOT GETTING OVERLY INVOLVED IN THE MUSIC

CURTAIN CALL- TORI AMOS

GOOD JOB IN INTRO OF REVEALING SYNTH ARRANGING UNDERNEATH PIANO

AGAIN TONALLY GREY TO MY EAR

MAKES ME WANT TO TRY SWAPPING IN MY POLK COBRA LITZ CABLE AS THIS GIVES MORE BITE/HIGHER END DETAIL...

SOUNDSTAGE DEPTH: 3/5 NOT BAD BUT THE AUREX SB77 HAD A BIT MORE...IN FACT, WOULD LIKE A BIT MORE LAYERED SOUND...

TORI SOUNDS GREYED OUT. SHE NEVER SHOULD!! I THINK THIS IS THE ONLY THING WRONG-IT'S DOING EVERYTHING ELSE RIGHT.

FIRE TO YOUR PLAIN- TORI AMOS

THIS HAS GOOD RHYTHM TRACK AND THE AMP IS SHOWING AN ADEPT TOICH AND MAKING ME MOVE TO THE PROGRAMMED/LIVE BEATS MIX. IT'S GOOD AT THIS.

HIGHWAY STAR- DEEP PURPLE MADE IN JAPAN 2014 REMASTER

STAGE DEPTH BETTER

DOING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS BUT...IS IT ME?

UNDER THE MAKEUP- A-HA

KNOW THIS TRACK SO WELL AND HEARD A LOT RECENTLY.

SOUND WASHED-OUT TO ME. JUST A BIT.

BUT OF COURSE WHEN I GO BACK TO MY REGULAR AMPS AND DACS MAYBE IT WILL GIVE PERSPECTIVE."

All of this was done with the DAC Direct on.
Those real-time musings lead me to conclude that the K2 is very good at a lot of things (most things), but for me the tone colour just isn't rich enough with my system. I find particularly with voices it doesn't quite get me there. There was a slight synthetic tonal tinge to vocals that left me unfulfilled. I sing and know/work with lots of other vocalists so maybe I am picky in this respect.
In all other respects I was perfectly happy with it. Just shows how one little thing can spoil the cake.
Anyone know if the PCM56 could be swapped out with a 63? Or maybe the dac board would show big improvements with recapping (after all it's probably coming up for 30 years old).

I should point out that I don't use any valve stuff nor do I usually have a particularly euphonic presentation. Plugging my regular little DAC back in resolved the issue with voices for me.

That brings me to the second part of the review- the amp itself. Bloody hell, it's pretty good isn't it! It has just about everything I'd need in terms of reproduction. Don't need to say much more- would be happy with this if it was mine.

I think for the roughly £500 to pick one up these days it's a great package indeed. Highly recommend it.

I hope more reviews like this come on, so the price goes down..
I think this Jvc went from under the radar, to overrated..

Well my review is very positive overall. To be clear, pairing the amp with external dacs is a potent combination! The amplifier section is excellent. The dac is very good, just didn't weave tonal magic for me.

Well, now I have finally had some time to myself to listen to the 1010.
And...

Firstly the PCM56-P twin dac with the K2 interface.
I made notes whilst I was listening which I will refer to.

It's obvious that this dac does timing and rhythm very well- which I suppose is down to the K2. It takes a clear hold of the movement in music and gives it correct placement in the hifi time/space continuum:p
From my real-time notes (always capitalised for ease of reference)

"PINK FLOYD: LET THERE BE MORE LIGHT M4A:

AMBIENT DETAILS ARE WELL-RECONSTRUCTED, EG ECHO DECAY TIME ON ISOLATED VOCALS.
SOUNDSTAGE WIDTH: 3.5/5 VERY GOOD BUT ARTIFICIAL SPREADING? OR JUST AS INTENDED?

DREAMER'S BALL-QUEEN

CLARITY OF SEPERATION- RHYTHMIC NUANCES OF BASS GUITAR AND ELECTRIC GUITAR/ACOUSTIC ALL WELL DELINEATED.
THINGS LIKE DEACON'S SLIDES CLEARLY AUDIBLE.

TONE THOUGH- IS IT THE MISSING PIECE OF THE JIGSAW?

THE DETAIL RETRIEVAL IS GOOD, GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME AND THESE OLD SPEAKERS...BUT SOMETHING'S NAGGING ME ABOUT THE OVERALL TONAL COLOUR. TO ME A LITTLE BLAND, NOT ENOUGH HARMONIC RICHNESS LIKE THE REAL THING.

VOICE VERY-WELL HANDLED, NUANCES OF VIBRATO AND BREATHING/DELIVERY APPARENT.

JEALOUSY- QUEEN:

CYMBAL WASHES WELL-HANDLED, DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CYMBAL TYPES/SWELL SPEED APPARENT

A BIT OF THAT “ARTIFICAL” WIDENING APPARENT ON BACKING VOX PLACEMENT

WHITE BIRD- IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY 24/192 VINYL RIP (DOWNSAMPLED)

DUAL LEAD VOX HARMONY CLEARLY SEPERATED. TIMING IS OBVIOUSLY A GOOD ASPECT OF THIS AMP/DAC

AGAIN, TONALLY NOT MAKING ME SWOON, ALL A TOUCH CLINICAL.

SO FAR I FEEL LIKE IF THIS AMP HAD A MORE HARMONICALLY VIVID PRESENTATION I'D BUY ONE, BUT THAT'S WHATS GIVING ME PAUSE- THE TONE.

DON'T THINK ITS ANY BETTER AT FOLLOWING BASS PARTS THAN THE AUREX SB77..WHICH ADMITTEDLY WAS VERY GOOD AT THAT.

FEEL LIKE I AM ADMIRING THE AMP/DAC BUT NOT GETTING OVERLY INVOLVED IN THE MUSIC

CURTAIN CALL- TORI AMOS

GOOD JOB IN INTRO OF REVEALING SYNTH ARRANGING UNDERNEATH PIANO

AGAIN TONALLY GREY TO MY EAR

MAKES ME WANT TO TRY SWAPPING IN MY POLK COBRA LITZ CABLE AS THIS GIVES MORE BITE/HIGHER END DETAIL...

SOUNDSTAGE DEPTH: 3/5 NOT BAD BUT THE AUREX SB77 HAD A BIT MORE...IN FACT, WOULD LIKE A BIT MORE LAYERED SOUND...

TORI SOUNDS GREYED OUT. SHE NEVER SHOULD!! I THINK THIS IS THE ONLY THING WRONG-IT'S DOING EVERYTHING ELSE RIGHT.

FIRE TO YOUR PLAIN- TORI AMOS

THIS HAS GOOD RHYTHM TRACK AND THE AMP IS SHOWING AN ADEPT TOICH AND MAKING ME MOVE TO THE PROGRAMMED/LIVE BEATS MIX. IT'S GOOD AT THIS.

HIGHWAY STAR- DEEP PURPLE MADE IN JAPAN 2014 REMASTER

STAGE DEPTH BETTER

DOING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS BUT...IS IT ME?

UNDER THE MAKEUP- A-HA

KNOW THIS TRACK SO WELL AND HEARD A LOT RECENTLY.

SOUND WASHED-OUT TO ME. JUST A BIT.

BUT OF COURSE WHEN I GO BACK TO MY REGULAR AMPS AND DACS MAYBE IT WILL GIVE PERSPECTIVE."

All of this was done with the DAC Direct on.
Those real-time musings lead me to conclude that the K2 is very good at a lot of things (most things), but for me the tone colour just isn't rich enough with my system. I find particularly with voices it doesn't quite get me there. There was a slight synthetic tonal tinge to vocals that left me unfulfilled. I sing and know/work with lots of other vocalists so maybe I am picky in this respect.
In all other respects I was perfectly happy with it. Just shows how one little thing can spoil the cake.
Anyone know if the PCM56 could be swapped out with a 63? Or maybe the dac board would show big improvements with recapping (after all it's probably coming up for 30 years old).

I should point out that I don't use any valve stuff nor do I usually have a particularly euphonic presentation. Plugging my regular little DAC back in resolved the issue with voices for me.

That brings me to the second part of the review- the amp itself. Bloody hell, it's pretty good isn't it! It has just about everything I'd need in terms of reproduction. Don't need to say much more- would be happy with this if it was mine.

I think for the roughly £500 to pick one up these days it's a great package indeed. Highly recommend it.

Thanks for the detailed review Rohan. However, this is not the experience I have with the amp I have to say. I'm no musician, but to me, it is anything but clinical, rather the mid-range is full and expressive and vocals are rich-sounding and project well out into the room.

advertisement

Back