advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

There is no way I can give a sensible, coherent explanation. I doubt anyone outside this forum would understand, but I now have 3 of these AX-Z1010s. One from Japan, one from Italy and one (almost new) on its way from Canada. They are paired up with a pair of Yam NS1000s. It's probably not the best sound I've heard, but it works for me given what I think are sensible financial limits. Recently I borrowed a Luxman AU590 (7? years old) from a pfm member (thanks Paul) and although it had better defined bass elements, I reckon the JVC gave more presence to mids and treble. This is important to me. These days I'm nothing but a streamer (oh no) and the K2 dac is superb. So all in all an ex-dem AX-Z1010 for just over £400 is a bargain squared. Just wish it would get here from Toronto pronto.

Can someone with a 1010 bring it to Farnham in Surrey??!! I’d like to do a bake off through NS1000’s with the Yamaha AX2000 which is of a similar vintage again with an internal DAC..

There is no way I can give a sensible, coherent explanation. I doubt anyone outside this forum would understand, but I now have 3 of these AX-Z1010s. One from Japan, one from Italy and one (almost new) on its way from Canada. They are paired up with a pair of Yam NS1000s. It's probably not the best sound I've heard, but it works for me given what I think are sensible financial limits. Recently I borrowed a Luxman AU590 (7? years old) from a pfm member (thanks Paul) and although it had better defined bass elements, I reckon the JVC gave more presence to mids and treble. This is important to me. These days I'm nothing but a streamer (oh no) and the K2 dac is superb. So all in all an ex-dem AX-Z1010 for just over £400 is a bargain squared. Just wish it would get here from Toronto pronto.

I use streaming a lot as well and agree the K2 DAC in the 1010 is superb. I also use DA Convertor Direct on the amp as this puts it into direct signal path mode AND Digital Super-A.

Just ensure that you make any streaming app 'exclusive' so that it's bit perfect in replay.
I did find that if, for example, I use TIDAL and let the PC (Windows 10) do its thing it would up sample to 48K, from 44.1.
There was a loss in SQ, details were harder to hear. Settting the audio device to allow 'exclusive mode' and setting exclusive and dont allow volume control in TIDAL improved the SQ for free!

For other streaming I use winamp with the Maiko WASAPI plugin, this again allows bit perfect playback of streamed audio (mainly Radio Paradise NAIM exclusive stream) and replay of pre recorded vinyl. I know winamp is old but this is the latest version, it's free, and I don't want something to manage my files just play them back bit perfect.

Enjoy.

Still a superb amp 28 years on!

I've enjoyed 3 AX-Z1010s, but just don't like the titanium color - fickle fellow that I am - leaving my black AX-Z711 to deliver the goods.... but I'm responding as you mention a Luxman. I really regret selling my little Luxman L210 last year : I loved it's looks, sound was good if not too high volume, but most of all, the best knobs in the business : just a wonderfully smooth action that I appreciated every time I touched it, a truly delightful tactile experience. Perhaps it's too long since ex-wifey left :rolleyes:...

I have the AX921 with a step down transformer and its very good. My impression was that its identical to the Z1010TN in every way, but Victor branded for the Japanese market

I have the AX921 with a step down transformer and its very good. My impression was that its identical to the Z1010TN in every way, but Victor branded for the Japanese market

I have one of these as well and it's identical to the JVC as you say. It might be a wee bit more musical, but very slightly less defined in bass or maybe I should listen again when sober!

There are some terrific bargains wearing a Victor badge if only they didn't cost a fortune to send to the UK.

Depends if it sells at that price ;)

That one seems to be missing its remote.

Yes, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. The price looks a bit optimistic as these amps are not well known (I'd sell one of mine for half that!) The remotes are very hard to come by, I've been looking for over a year.

advertisement

Back