advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

I got a JVC AX1 from a boot sale for 50 pence some years ago. The guy wanted shot of it as it was raining.

I took it home and dried it out. Was amazed by its big warm dynamic nature. It certainly had qualities not so easily found in other amps.

An update. It was back in July that I took the JVC out of the system and put the Dynavectors back in. As it was a rather gloomy day here and I had nothing planned I decided to put the JVC back in to see what I thought of it now. I also wanted to check it was still working as it should do; despite being 'new' it is rather old. All I can say so far is that this is an astonishingly good amp; that it still holds its own against the Dynavectors amazes me. I did wonder if the novelty of a monster Japanese amp with a BIG volume control might have swayed me initially when I got this in the summer but I think not. These 1010's are fantastic amps.

I've asked this local (to me) seller for a photo of the interior. He describes the volume control as being "sometimes crackly" and the left channel as "sometimes not working" : http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-t...c1254e7aa85845826d5acd&previousPage=mympBuyer

What might a refurb service cost, I wonder ?

Have also made a low bid (now overbid) on these two Z911 amps, predecessors of Z1010TN, also with DAC but not K2 : http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-t...c1254e7aa85845826d5acd&previousPage=mympBuyer

Anyone with refurb / recap skills interested in having one (Z911) if I buy them - you'd get the amp without RC in exchange for servicing them (well, it's an idea at least) ?

How are those who imported new Z1010TNs from Canada doing, especially with regards to running via the transformers mentioned, please : all 100% successful ?

My ex is going to Canada 3 weeks from now and I'm thinking of selling something to pay for a new one ( i. if any left, ii. if she is willing and able to bring back on flight, I'm assuming 20kg overweight is cheaper than freight across the pond, but I might be wrong) !

There's probably quite a few folk here that would be willing and able to do the work required, but I don't know of anyone near to Amsterdam or what the going rate would be in The Netherlands. As they're heavy, shipping costs will be significant.

Did you mean to post links to the two AX-Z911's twice (same page)?

There's probably quite a few folk here that would be willing and able to do the work required, but I don't know of anyone near to Amsterdam or what the going rate would be in The Netherlands. As they're heavy, shipping costs will be significant.

Did you mean to post links to the two AX-Z911's twice (same page)?

Oops ... post corrected : thanks for pointing this out.

I drive to UK every few months, so would bring over (I go to London SW11 and Chichester). I guess Henry toprepairman might be willing to assist if required.

I'd certainly recommend Henry if you're coming to the UK. However, although I know he was after a z1010, I'm not sure if your deal would appeal to him, even though his rates are very reasonable.

I'm near Canterbury, so not far off your route if you travel via the Channel.

Despite the Canadian units working on 110V at 60Hz (I believe), I don't remember seeing anyone having issues using a step down transformer for use at 50Hz. I'd say the used one you've linked to would be a better deal. Should cost you considerably less than buying from Canada. However, Japanese amps of this era aren't easy to work on (that's a bit an understatement), so a full service may be dearer than average. I've not had the chance to open my z1010 up yet, but I do like the look of the service manual.

I've asked this local (to me) seller for a photo of the interior. He describes the volume control as being "sometimes crackly" and the left channel as "sometimes not working"

I bet its just a cold solder joint, you can fix it by yourself and then use some deoxit on controls, I got my 1010ax cheap because one of the channels worked intermittently, there are a lot of threads of recapping etc but most of the time capacitors are ok, the grey material at the base is just glue,

How are those who imported new Z1010TNs from Canada doing, especially with regards to running via the transformers mentioned, please : all 100% successful ?

Mine's working superbly. Best amp I've owned by some margin.

I bet its just a cold solder joint, you can fix it by yourself and then use some deoxit on controls, I got my 1010ax cheap because one of the channels worked intermittently, there are a lot of threads of recapping etc but most of the time capacitors are ok, the grey material at the base is just glue,

Thanks, Sonci - I'm picking the amp up on Saturday and taking it straight round to a local vintage audio guy to check out. Looks very clean on the inside.

Picked it up (despite being outbid by a couple of UK bidders at the last minute : seller didn't like the idea of packing 20kg of electronics) & now with Arthur at hifistereo.nl for a check over. Funnily enough the seller couldn't duplicate the noisy volume / intermittent channel issue hè had experienced previously.

Arthur has a lot of great vintage gear there & some wonderful-looking 15" Tannoys in his demo room (not sure which cabs). As mentioned earlier in this thread, I bought a Titan range CD player to go with my AX-R337TN, but as this has no digital out, I looked on Marktplaats and found the next model up, but black, for 15 euros, so Arthur is going to swap the cases over, so the colour will match & this adds RC + digital out.

About to move house, but hopefully will just have time to hook up to my Kans before I do...

For anyone with any interest in one of these it looks like they are
30% off at the moment on ebay and would I assume be a very good price if you contact the seller directly.

During the summer I imported 2 x Victor AX-Z921 from Japan. These were pre-owned and identical to the JVC AX-Z1010TN in every way except for voltage. They were made for the Japanese market and badged as Victor which is the name JVC used there. I now would like to sell one of them and will offer it here first. I have an original box so it will be well packaged.

Both the amps I have are in black and both work superbly - no faults. The amp will require a voltage transformer and I use an Airlink which I think was £70, but it is silent and the whole set up works perfectly.

The amps total cost was more than I expected as I had gone through an intermediary for the sake of translation and packing for overseas. To cover all my costs I will need to charge £450 for the amp I'm selling.

I will put it in the classified section tomorrow.

http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-82-7b/gt2500jzz/folder/979113/19/30705619/img_2?1350857782

It seems to have been sold - pending a flow of cash.

Someone has themselves a bit of a bargain there.

You can import one yourself, it's not difficult, but it takes time. At first you think you have an incredible bargain, but the costs pile on. You could do it for £450 though.

You can import one yourself, it's not difficult, but it takes time. At first you think you have an incredible bargain, but the costs pile on. You could do it for £450 though.

Already done it a while back. Should have waited!

advertisement

Back