advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

Meant to be a good 'in. The 907 alpha series are the absolute business but v few outside Japan.

Wow. That Sansui definitely looks the business! 4 digital inputs as well. It's also from exactly the same era as the JVC (1989-1992).

I think flatpopely should buy it and do a bake-off with the JVC! :D

Made an interesting observation yesterday or whatever the appropriate word is with regard to hearing.

I've not done much listening to high resolution audio, but as I got a Marantz UD5005 multi disc player working recently I thought I'd compare its DAC to Z1010. I played an SACD with digital output going to my TV via HDMI and then from the TV to the amp using an optical link. Comparing this to the audio out from the SACD, I was surprised to find that I much preferred the audio produced via the amp DAC.

I know the digital audio output via HDMI is low resolution, so why did it sound so much better? Is the Marantz not a very good source compared to other SACD players? I've only done the test with one SACD so far, so maybe the recording is part of the reason?

What is it they say about the madness of crowds... !?

I just bought one of these, a JVC AX-R337, for just under GBP 30 including delivery - it looks like a baby brother to flatpopely's AX-Z1010TN :

https://gyazo.com/42f18112fbdefd6b6eae68d293187bc2

It will give me my first taste of JVC's Dynamic Super A sound. I read somewhere that it delivers 90W / channel into 4 ohms, so when it arrives I might try it on my Kans.

The seller says it still works well - the sale includes both the original remote control and user manual.

I'm near Amsterdam, btw, so I bought it on Marktplaats, which is what the Dutch seem to prefer to eBay.

^That's where I bought my JVC from, Marktplaats.

I'll be interested to read your findings on the AX-R337, as there seems to be very little info on it. It does look like it may be a contemporary of the AX-Z1010TN though, as you say. It has a similarity in looks.

Regards,
Nick

My amp has arrived and looks almost as new and was also very well packed. I have a super busy weekend, so will not turn it on until next week...

However, I'm so impressed that I have bought the seller's matching JVC XL-V235 CD player - the amp has a CD Direct button, so I thought I might as well (I've bought it for quite a bit less than the amp...).

As for the title of this post, I attach a copy of the JVC Titan Line brochure, in which we see that flatpopely's 1010 is indeed the Big Kahuna & mine's lower in the range.

Auf Deutsch - can't find an English version as yet.

... uh-oh, it seems one cannot upload files to posts at pfm... here's the link to the download (you have to register at hifiengine to d/l) :

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/jvc/ax-r337.shtml

Super Digifine brochure in English : http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/jvc/super-digifine-hifi-components.shtml

Apologies if above links already posted.

Thanks jtrade. That is an interesting brochure, even in German. I didn't realise that JVC had 7 amps in their Titan range. Yours is 3rd in the list so it should be pretty good and it certainly isn't entry level.

Regards,
Nick

OK I have one of these waiting for me at Parcelforce but need a transformer.

Any advice on the necessary wattage rating required to convert the voltage to UK please?

Thanks.

Going to set up the phono tonight. Got to move the Sondek and Amp to enable connection. Last phono I had was the K cards on a NAC 82.

Got the phono side up and running last night. First impressions with a couple of favourite LPs was very good. In fact, I'd say I've never heard my records sound better.

advertisement

Back