advertisement

Just ordered a Cyrus Phono Signature

Robert

Tapehead
Should arrive in a couple of days.

As some will know I pretty much exclusively use vintage kit and have done for the past decade, 70s amps and receivers mainly but just recently I picked up a Cyrus amp and the lovely old dad7 top loading CD spinner. It has been nice getting to know Cyrus again after many years, albeit with a relatively new amp in an 8VS2.

Of course the good thing about vintage amps is that everything has a phono stage on board, and usually a decent one. Not so for kit built in the last 20 years or so so I found myself in the unlikely position of not being able to use the TT! :(

This is the most I've ever spent on a stage (I bought it new @ £1.5K) so wish me luck and lets hope it delivers the sonics. I'll update again once I've got the thing up and running.

Oh, and it was those buttons and display what swung it. All those on the fly loading options :)

.....and of course it has Warp Drive!

Cyrus_Lifestyle_241117_0046-900x601 by

That's very nice. I love the multi textured finish, it looks really high quality.

Very happy with mine, the PSX does lift the performance.

Being able to swap carts and change settings on the fly is dead handy, especially compared to flipping dip switches at the rear/underneath or having to dismantle the case to get to them.

that looks very nice, I've always loved the look of the Cyrus stuff

More importantly it will be interesting to hear your views once you've had a proper listen

Its an interesting design with the loading being switched in an out with relays giving options of :

11Ω, 16Ω, 33Ω, 47Ω, 100Ω, 150Ω, 333Ω, 500Ω, 1kΩ, 47kΩ,

220pF, 1nF, 2nF, 3nF.

Lovely looking piece of Kit Robert and so many options....Should be in the beauty is in the eye of the beholder thread :)

I've had one for 3 years, it is a lovely bit of kit, as you say you change MC settings on the fly with the remote so you can adjust the sound signature from your seat, without dip switches mularkey, then preset each input.

Oh & it sounds lovely, beat anything I have had previously including a Dino & Sugden setup.

For MM, the gain, resistive load and capacitive load settings are pre-optimised to standard values that best match this type of cartridge. The GAIN, RES (resistance load), and CAP (capacitance load) keys are therefore disabled and the indicators will not light.

For MC:

Resistance - 11Ω, 16Ω, 33Ω, 47Ω, 100Ω, 150Ω, 333Ω, 500Ω, 1kΩ, 47kΩ

Cap - 220pF, 1nF, 2nF, 3nF

Gain - 40dB, 50dB, 60dB, 70dB​

I have also had the pleasure of spending a year or so with one of these little beauties (with PSX-R2) and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Changing settings with remote was a nice touch but after the first few weeks the novelty wore off and I don't think I messed with them after that.
There's something very satisfying about handling the Cyrus shoebox too, it just feels right!

Changing settings with remote was a nice touch but after the first few weeks the novelty wore off

Indeed. A cart. will have its optimum resistance setting; once found, you really wouldn't want to change it though there's a possibility that some (sonically defective?) records could be boosted by changing things. M/coils are considered more or less immune form capacitance changes, though I did find that RFI was ameliorated by upping the cap. in my old Superline, but that was one finicky phono stage with some odd foibles.

Well it has arrived, and I've given in and bought a PSXR for it.

Exciting :)

Given we are about to head into another thoroughly depressing lockdown, could all be dead soon either from a virus or madman in the Whitehouse, I thought lets buy some more hi-fi to enjoy.

So, to go along with the phono stage we also have a Technics SL1210GR and KEF R3s in walnut which arrived today.

Stay tuned ;)

hifi1 by

Expect pics when all setup. This year I bought my first Cyrus hardware if you don’t count isoplats/cables, almost bought the original Two/PSX when it came out mid 80’s and been meaning to scratch the itch ever since. So far enjoying it a lot.

Expect pics when all setup. This year I bought my first Cyrus hardware if you don’t count isoplats/cables, almost bought the original Two/PSX when it came out mid 80’s and been meaning to scratch the itch ever since. So far enjoying it a lot.

Definitely will be some pics.

I used Cyrus in the 90s until about 2003 and have always liked it, especially the amplifiers.
The decision to jump for the 1210GR came after really enjoying an unmolested 1200 Mk2 for the past 6 months but I also want to start collecting 78s, and the GR has 78 rpm plus fine control.

The Phono Sig came with a very fancy backlit system remote activated by a motion sensor. It even controls the 25 year old dad7 CD player which is nice.

advertisement

Back