advertisement

Just looked at an Ad for a turntable costing more than I've ever paid for a used Car

Si74

pfm Member
It's now reached the stage where Hi-Fi Mags are saying a bare turntable costing 11K is ok for a mid priced turntable? My Oracle/kuzmaref,/Koetsu cost me 1200 quid buying wisely. The current model of my amps would cost 16,000 Euros,bought for $2,000. It's utter lunacy the money folks are loosing selling used gear and still they all persist in box swapping and come on here to give their 'considered' opinion on what's good value, more money than sense for the most part. If they all stopped buying overpriced crap our better halves might not take such a dim view of listening to good music as opposed to watching s--t on the tv.

Of course if no-one were ever willing to buy new/pay full whack then where would your s/h bargains come from?

There's lots of kit out there which is well above my pay grade, and much of it is in the 'wouldn't spend that much even if I had it' category, but I can't say I get particularly upset/outraged/offended by the fact it exists or that some people can afford it. That's too much of a slippery slope.

It is no different to any other non-essential in life.
Why does anyone buy new cars? I have no idea personally.
Looked at from the other way around - I have known quite a few horse-owners over the years and they very largely fall into two camps - skint or extremely well-off. The skint ones somehow find the not insignificant sums, week in, week out, as I am sure some box-swappers do.

The market for upper level TTs is probably quite small, one way of achieving some cut through is to charge a very high price. It attracts a certain kind of person. Personally I think it’s daft & would only spend big money on active speakers now.

It's now reached the stage where Hi-Fi Mags are saying a bare turntable costing 11K is ok for a mid priced turntable? My Oracle/kuzmaref,/Koetsu cost me 1200 quid buying wisely. The current model of my amps would cost 16,000 Euros,bought for $2,000. It's utter lunacy the money folks are loosing selling used gear and still they all persist in box swapping and come on here to give their 'considered' opinion on what's good value, more money than sense for the most part. If they all stopped buying overpriced crap our better halves might not take such a dim view of listening to good music as opposed to watching s--t on the tv.

You can buy a Pro-Ject Elemental for £189

SAT’s new XD-1 turntable with a 9” SAT arm is 200,000 Euros

Using this scale, the £11,000 turntable you’ve spotted is fairly low end!

Hifi has gone the way of super-luxury goods, like watches. You can buy a Seiko for £300 or you can buy Conor McGregor's gold monstrosity for $1M. There's always someone foolish enough to buy something if the price is suitably ridiculous.

You will excuse me, I'm going out to buy a handbag made in China and being sold for £1500.

SAT’s new XD-1 turntable with a 9” SAT arm is 200,000 Euros
I looked that up.
"The XD1's standard platter weighs 26.5lb; the vacuum hold-down version weighs 33lb. Both are precision-machined from a "precipitation-aged Mg-Si-Al alloy" similar to what's used to produce the chassis. Both feature tall sections that "nest" the top platter and a flywheel ring of Swedish brass."
It must be good, it's been left in the rain. And the flywheel ring isn't just brass, it's Swedish brass.:rolleyes:

You will excuse me, I'm going out to buy a handbag made in China and being sold for £1500.

tenor.gif

The more I think about it, the more I have sympathy for the approach adopted by Mr Darko the YouTuber.

He has 2 turntables, neither of which is that expensive. Each brings a different quality, and suits a different mood or quality of medium.

Is that any different to the person who has an estate car for normal use, and a cheap roadster for the occasional summer blast?

Sometimes the continual box swapping is a mental health issue...

I believe this to be true, not across the board of course. I think it's fair to say many of us have experienced anxiety surrounding the hobby at some point. At a further end of the spectrum I knew a chap, through the hobby, who had genuine diagnosed OCD and it wasn't good to see.

And of course it's a relative issue, someone struggling to put food on the table might think spending £500 (a figure plucked out of the air) on a pair of speakers or whatever is close to insane. I think it's always healthy to have a reality check in life from time to time, but of course we all have our own truth.

Blimey, anyway, keep happy out there :)

Sometimes the continual box swapping is a mental health issue...
Give up! Its a hobby. The kit is a big part of the fun. People get bored with the same thing. A change increases the fun again and your knowledge of the hobby.
Anyone who logs onto this forum every day or even every week is bang into the kit. Nothing strange or unhealthy in that.

Yep, just the nature of toys I think. A Seiko is £300 as said, or £3000+ for a Grand Seiko or thousands more for a Rolex up through Piaget, Patel Phillipe, Vacheron Constantin, Lange a Sohne and so on. All hobbies are like this, have you seen the price of Cervelo or Pinarello bicycles?

the one that amazes me is electric cars. Like an unwritten rule of £15k to £20k as a price point for ordinary non-elite combustion engine cars year after year, bigged up of course for versions with toys or premium brands. Yet suddenly every EV ad or article seems to say £35k with a straight face for non premium, and I have to pinch myself, who is it accepting this is suddenly an okay price for an Everyman Vauxhall, Kia, VW?

Seems madder to me than the price of turntables.

Consider the L’Oreal marketing slogan; “Expensive, and I’m worth it!”

One of the best product taglines in history, and one that eloquently sums up the fundamental approach of many high-end audio companies. Their offerings have more in common with cosmetics than thoughtfully-engineered products.

advertisement

Back