advertisement

Just how good is T+A audio ? After a HV Series preamp.

seadog7

pfm Member
I cannot find a real lot of discussions about T+A Audio, specifically the T+A P 3100 HV preamp.

It looks an impressive preamp on paper and from the one review form HiFi News that I found.

Anyone here have any thoughts on this ?

I can only speak from experience of the lower tier Dac200 plus what I've learned of the company.

The Dac200, although not utilising the high voltage rail tech from the HV series, does adopt many of the design features of that level. I replaced a Chord Dave/MScaler with this dac and I am very happy with it. It's very nicely made, sounds exceptional and it wasn't churned out in some asian factory to hit some arbitrary price point whilst maintaining lots of margin for the brand executives back home in the UK.

T+A are an impressive, family owned business which is a rarity today.

The Dac200, although not utilising the high voltage rail tech from the HV series, does adopt many of the design features of that level. I replaced a Chord Dave/MScaler with this dac and I am very happy with it.

I’m debating if I should indeed go all in with T+A source as well if I do end up with the P 3100 preamp.

I hear many, many great things about the DAC200.

T+A are an impressive, family owned business which is a rarity today.
I hear that too, my dealer had a very, very light scuff mark on the top plate of one of his T+A demo pieces.

It was a loan piece from the National Distributor and he wasn’t sure if it was a factory defect or a display model that somehow got scuffed. And we are talking about a hardly noticeable, have to see it in the right light/angle, light scuff mark.

He said that T+A couriered a replacement panel overnight from Germany.

Now THAT is next level service.

Last edited:
Hi,
T+A is a, at least in Germany, well known Hi-End (in technical terms, not marketing bullshit) company with very reliable products and the service is great, they still service products that are more than 40 years old.

They are not cheap but if you know how much effort in selecting parts and the quality, not even to mention the hours of design process they put in their products. They also design and produce in Germany, not Asia, so I wouldn't call them expansive per se.

The sound is dead neutral, but not steril (related to their electronics). If you wish for any colouration it is the wrong company. If you want everything replayed as close as possible to the record, you get it.

The amplifiers are stable, have power and can more or less drive everything, especially the HV series.

I hear that too, my dealer had a very, very light scuff mark on the top plate of one of his T+A demo pieces.

It was a loan piece from the National Distributor and he wasn’t sure if it was a factory defect or a display model that somehow got scuffed. And we are talking about a hardly noticeable, have to see it in the right light/angle, light scuff mark.

He said that T+A couriered a replacement panel overnight from Germany.

Now THAT is next level service.
Here, in france, I've heard of similar service from Moon concerning a top panel for a power amp.

I've had several bits of T+A kit, including the PA2500R and MP2500 (the range one down from the HV range). They were very well put together and had a pristine, neutral, sound quality. I did consider an HV series, but too heavy for me. T+A have never really been very popular in tne UK, for one reason or another, and don't hold their value very well. Not a problem if you;re planning on keeping for a long period. I had excellent support from T+A directly and the UK distributor.

If you're looking at this level, then you should also consider Moon; the 791 looks like it might be an option?

Thanks for those links and comments above.

I managed to get a demo. of the T+A PA 3100 HV.

They set it up with the same DAC and preamp. that I have.

So Chord DAVE & Chord Ultima Pre.3 preamp. they used the power amp side of the PA 3100 HV when I switch to the Chord Pre.3.

I did like the midrange of the T+A much more than the Chord Pre. 3 , it sounded sublime.

However the Pre. 3 seemed to hit harder in the bass lines of the rock that I played.

Rock, pop and acoustic pop / rock is my go to music.

So I value PR&T and speed, that Chord has that in abundance, not so sure that the T+A house sound has PR&T as a forte ?

It’s hard to gauge how the P 3100 HV preamp. Will be in my system at home as they don’t have that on display to demo.

Another preamp. that has my interest is the NAIM NAC332 & NPX 300 PSU combo for about the same price as T+A P 3100 HV. And I know NAIM is the PR&T kings in that space.

Having owned the DAVE, I'd be interested in the Naim NSC333 & PSU if you value the essential character it brings, and it is much more versatile than any "just a DAC" type product.

I would say that the Dac200 is very even handed, doesn't try to impose a character on the music. But it's not dull, tuneless or uninvolving, so meets most of the criteria for a good converter. I think the Naim would require a preamp which is another, element to consider. If you add an NAC323 (or whatever it's called) that's the price of the NSC333 on top.

Having owned the DAVE, I'd be interested in the Naim NSC333 & PSU if you value the essential character it brings, and it is much more versatile than any "just a DAC" type product.

I would say that the Dac200 is very even handed, doesn't try to impose a character on the music. But it's not dull, tuneless or uninvolving, so meets most of the criteria for a good converter. I think the Naim would require a preamp which is another, element to consider. If you add an NAC323 (or whatever it's called) that's the price of the NSC333 on top.

By the way, not sure if you've seen GoldenSound's measurements of the DAC200 which seem to indicate that the max output level should be -15dBFS, which is easy to set with HQPlayer. Above that level distortion starts to rise.

https://goldensound.audio/2023/11/22/ta-dac200-measurements/

So I value PR&T and speed, that Chord has that in abundance, not so sure that the T+A house sound has PR&T as a forte ?
I have no insight into that pre-amp, but the DAC200 definitely maintains the PRaT factors. Therefore, I don't think it's a T+A "house sound".

advertisement

Back