advertisement

Just bought a Texas Leica!

What format were those original Kodachromes? Assuming the quality must be better than the scans posted, the quality is stunning!

Realistically without pixel peeping it's hard to really compare as with suitable sharpening you can make most general scans look excellent at these sorts of sizes. Frankly, armed with a decent negative/slide you can get excellent results out of really quite humble scanners, assuming you put the time in correcting colours etc. Decent scanners come into their own when presented with dubious negatives, saving otherwise unusable images. At some level though, if the negative is bad enough, there's nothing much that can be done to pull the contrast out, and all you see is dodgy film grain/scratches etc.

I've never done that sort of thing so really have no understanding, but take your word for it. I am still curious as to the size of the original transparencies. From the shape they look like 35mm or 6x9, but of course they may have been cropped from 6x6.

First roll of HP5 gone through the Texas Leica, nearly killed me hobbling about part of Salford Quays on crutches, not holding out much hope in the artistic side, but at least I know if camera works and has no light leaks

I've never done that sort of thing so really have no understanding, but take your word for it. I am still curious as to the size of the original transparencies. From the shape they look like 35mm or 6x9, but of course they may have been cropped from 6x6.

I'd guess 35mm slides in holders - kodachrome would have been chosen to be projected, and medium format projectors are rare, large and expensive.

First roll of HP5 gone through the Texas Leica, nearly killed me hobbling about part of Salford Quays on crutches, not holding out much hope in the artistic side, but at least I know if camera works and has no light leaks

Great stuff - you've piqued my interest in my 690, so i've got a Delta 100 loaded and will be trying my luck at some photos of the pier/beach this evening...

I had one of these cameras too, now sold. It comes as a surprise to most photographers that the 6x9 format isn’t actually 60 x 90 mm, it’s 55 x 82mm. Solid and satisfying to use, and really useful that it doesn’t need batteries. Lovely sharp lens although has a slight vignette at wide apertures. Shutter runs a little slow at its top 1/500 speed.

The difficulty comes in getting a good scan of the negs for a decent price. I have a Nikon 8000 which I bought in the early 2000s. The scans take ages, banding is a problem unless fine scan mode is used and the files are large. Despite what some say Nikonscan will run under Windows 7. I presume it still works on Windows 10 – I haven’t used the scanner for quite a while and it will be for sale once we’re all mobile again.

Being trapped inside, I've found time to scan some older transparency shots I took with a Hasselbald 503cx and 80mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss. The pic below was snapped about ten years ago on Fuji Astia film.

49749927116_a9db246acb_c.jpg

Joe

I've still got some medium format film in the fridge so should really dig out the various medium format stuff I've got and put some film through it. I've at least one old 6x7 camera that I've never used and my Pentax 645 hasn't seen any use in ages.

I tried another scan of a medium format slide I took ages ago.

49766485286_87947558a9_c.jpg

That's living on the edge — a maple tree growing in a crack in the bedrock a few inches from the bay.

Joe

advertisement

Back