advertisement

Just bought a Texas Leica!

eternumviti,

It was $250 Cdn. At today's exchange rate that's about 140 UK squids or 190 US clams.

I could not believe my good fortune either, and I did mention to the seller that the going price of a used CoolScan 9000 ED on eBay was at least ten times that. He appreciated my honesty, which apparently was part of the test.

The other hurdles to clear were some technical tests — e.g., do I have an ancient computer with a Firewire port (check), but is my computer new enough that it can't run PPC software so do I know I'll need to get VueScan or something similar so the scanner can talk to my computer (check). And some questions about medium format cameras. He said if all I shoot is 35mm film, the scanner should go to a guy who actually needs a medium format scanner.

Joe

Nice one David - I'm loving MF. It's not an everyday format of course, but oh-so-satisfying.

I've found where scanning's concerned, the best results I've had are with a light board and using a camera (with macro) to 'scan' the negatives. You can also do panoramas of negatives, then merge in LR which can bring 'scary' levels of resolution. :)

Between HP5 and Ektar - it has to be HP5 where, IME, it comes alive when shot one stop above box speed.

Have fun - lots of it!

Thanks Richard, I already have a light board, Kaiser light panel, and a copy stand so Im part way there, I’m really looking forward to it, hopefully I can get a film shot this weekend, and start to have a play.

eternumviti,

It was $250 Cdn. At today's exchange rate that's about 140 UK squids or 190 US clams.

I could not believe my good fortune either, and I did mention to the seller that the going price of a used CoolScan 9000 ED on eBay was at least ten times that. He appreciated my honesty, which apparently was part of the test.

The other hurdles to clear were some technical tests — e.g., do I have an ancient computer with a Firewire port (check), but is my computer new enough that it can't run PPC software so do I know I'll need to get VueScan or something similar so the scanner can talk to my computer (check). And some questions about medium format cameras. He said if all I shoot is 35mm film, the scanner should go to a guy who actually needs a medium format scanner.

Joe

Hey, Joe, I didn't ask how much you gave for it, I asked how much you got for it!

I was teasing of course.

I still have it.

Here are two recent scans of Kodachrome II (?) slides my wife's grandfather took in the late 1950s.

pHwTwKk.jpg

zaoGijj.jpg

The scanner is exceptionally sharp, so any blur is in the original slide.

Joe

Well done on the 690 - i've had one of these for a number of years, and although i've not shot much with it, when I have it's lovely!

As for it being large, you do know about the 617 though, right? ;)

Has anyone shot with a Voigtlander Bessa II 6x9 rangefinder? They look quite small for the format and the camera folds into something rather compact.

2_1ebe018f-abf0-4a9c-9855-c630bc70342d_1024x1024.jpg

I keep hoping that I'll find one in a pawn shop or a thrift store, but so far nothing but crap, forgettable 35mm point-n-shoots.

Joe

Yes, but not the Bessa II, but an earlier one (The Bessa RF). It turned out to be a pain and i'd suggest steering clear. Mine had problems with the shutter release, bellow leaks, and light leaks around the back. The rangefinder was awful, and the lens wasn't exactly stellar when it did work with the mechanism giving you tilt when you weren't wanting it since it's kind of held in roughly the right place by a bit of bent metal. I'm also not a fan of red windows to set frame positions, and having to remember if i've taken a photo or not to avoid double exposure...

I'm now wondering what happened to it, i've a feeling I gave it to a charity shop.

I have been close to buying one of those several times (and really wish I did when I was living in Hong Kong in the mid 90's as they were pretty cheap there)! I might have a little look on Ebay...!

Has anyone shot with a Voigtlander Bessa II 6x9 rangefinder? They look quite small for the format and the camera folds into something rather compact.

2_1ebe018f-abf0-4a9c-9855-c630bc70342d_1024x1024.jpg

I keep hoping that I'll find one in a pawn shop or a thrift store, but so far nothing but crap, forgettable 35mm point-n-shoots.

Joe
I shoot with a Baldalux 6x9 folder, Joe. It's quite compact and would fit in an overcoat pocket.

Baldalux 6x9 Schneider - Kreuznach Radionar F4.5 105mm by Paul Wood, on Flickr

Here's one of the pictures from it

On top of Hoad by Paul Wood, on Flickr

I've got an Agfa Record III in 6x9 but have to say I don't think I've put a roll of film through it yet:
88353628.OzvrBVcJ.record1.jpg

The two women in the first pic are my wife’s mother and grandmother.

In the second, it’s her mother, father and older brother.

Joe

Cesare,

Apart from everything that’s terrible about it, is the Voigtlander Bessa RF a good camera. :)

Joe

The two women in the first pic are my wife’s mother and grandmother.

In the second, it’s her mother, father and older brother.

Joe

The quality and cut of their clothing is extraordinary. Your wife's mother's dress is very much of its time, but her grandmother's jacket would look particularly modish even now. I love the accessorising, I can remember my own grandmother dressing like this, always with gloves, just to take the tube up to London to go shopping or to meet my grandfather for lunch.

The quality of the slides is astonishing too.

eternumviti,

The old Kodachromes have held up well if the exposures are spot on. This one was good straight out of the scanner.

vXAnlsb.jpg

This one required a lot of adjustment in Photoshop.

mvqAK8n.jpg

We think my wife's brother (the little kid) let one go in the second photo.

Joe

For reference re. flatbed scanning ;¬>

The triptych below was from 3 6x6 negatives scanned in via a Canoscan 8800f using VueScan software - the resulting image was 2873 dpi (a whopping 427mb per negative)
Considering they were taken with my humble Rolleicord, the quality isn’t too shabby at all. Film was Kodak Tri-X but not sure of the rating.
A full-res crop of the knocker in the centre image showing the resolved detail follows.

Both best viewed at full size on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/186836509@N02/

49642780908_739ae300ff_h.jpg

49643329133_3cb366a259_b.jpg

What format were those original Kodachromes? Assuming the quality must be better than the scans posted, the quality is stunning!

advertisement

Back