advertisement

Just bought a pair of Neat Ultimatum MFS!

Daneel

pfm Member
I haven't been paying much attention to hi-fi for the past few years, and my JM Lab Electra 926s currently reside in my friend's basement because I don't have the space for them.

Last week, a two year old pair of MFS caught my eye; the speaker I loved the first time I heard it, but couldn't afford at the time.

I bought them from Geoff at Acoustica in Chester (never dealt with him before, seems like a nice guy). They will be delivered next week.

I'm a bit concerned that the room is too small, and also my AV receiver may struggle to drive them. I have a nice parasound power amp that I usually have between it and any speakers, but again there's just no space!

Oh well, I guess I'll find out next week if this was a good decision or not!

Marvellous speakers! I've had mine for a few years now wouldn't change them for anything.

They can be a difficult load though, I normally drive mine with a NAP250 and currently bi-amped with my old NAP140 too. I spoke to Neat before I bought them and they used a 250 as part of their test system and they said that was really the minimum power amp they would recommend.

I've had them in two different rooms, neither of them large and they work extremely well. The speakers do need room to breathe though - minimum 3' in from the side wall and absolute minimum 8" from the rear wall. Mine were just on those limits in the old room and they were fine.

Thanks for your comments seagull. I've checked the spec which says 4 Ohms minimum so I'm not as concerned as I was. Also, the vast majority of the time they aren't going to be up at high volume so for me at least, I think 250W would be overkill!

I think the receiver is 100W into 8 Ohm (if my memory serves, it actually did deliver this in a test by Hi-fi news), it's a Pioneer D2011-S

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/archive/VSX-D2011-S/index.html

I'll measure to see if the Parasound will fit, but I doubt it. It's a five channel unit that I used to bi-amp my fronts and single drive the centre when I had a surround set-up. The power isn't much higher. 140W into 8 Ohms, but I haven't heard about it failing to drive anything yet so I'm sure the Neats would be fine!

http://www.parasound.com/vintage/hca1205a.php

8" from the back wall should be fine, and as I intend to put them either side of the TV stand unit the distance from either wall will also be fine. I am concerned that the gap between them however will be too small to offer a decent soundstage, it's around 5 to 6'?

I also need to decide if I can live with driving them from my new blu-ray player (LG BD390) or whether I should also pull the Arcam CDP out from my friend's basement. I'll probably stream most music from my PC upstairs through the LG anyway!

My demo of the MSF was on ATC + Naim equipment if I remember correctly, so they may not sound quite as I recall!

advertisement

Back