Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Jungle

Discussion in 'music' started by Big Tabs, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Big Tabs

Big Tabs pants up, knee down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_music

I was instantly attracted to Jungle, it just makes me want to dance. (Heavy gigs at the Marcus Garvey Centre - Nottm. and a few parties in the area and Leicester)

Spotted this on amazon - double album with some solid tunes, and an excellent introduction if anyone wants to explore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_music

Apart from 12" singles, I have stuff like Top Cat vs General Levy

Top Cat Vs General Levy ‎– Rumble In The Jungle Volume One
    Label:
    Jungle Fashion Records ‎– JFLP001
    Format:
    2 × Vinyl, LP
    UK
    Released:
    Genre:
    Electronic
    Style:
    Jungle

Share your Jungle favourites.

Simon s likes this.
  2. Marc O'Brien

Marc O'Brien pfm reMember

Like Reggae it has an infectious quality, I used to love it back in the 90s, in a club it would always get people moving. I collected the original 12"s in the late 90s/early 00s, having missed out on buying them in the mid 90s, sold most of them now though, probably wouldn't sound great on a valve amplifier.

All time faves must be these two.

Mickdale, Simon s and Big Tabs like this.
  3. Big Tabs

The Leviticus - 'Burial' track is on the album I linked to on amazon.
    (chronic 1) mix.

Didn't know the Omni-Trio.
    makes me think of Venetian Snares but slower :)

4. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Blimey. I went to the Marcus Garvey centre years ago. Came out addicted to Jungle.

Marc O'Brien and Big Tabs like this.
  5. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I never got Jungle, tried a few times, mind you it took me 50 odd years to get Miles Davis

eevo1969 and Snufkin like this.
  6. Marc O'Brien

The mix I linked to is the main one, I think the Chronic might be Roni size, pretty sure the Philly Blunt label came out of Bristol, was one of the biggest tunes back in the day, such a memorable melody, and actually samples Barry Manilow's 'Copacabanna'!

Big Tabs likes this.
  7. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Love it. Jungle will bring a plinky plonk HiFi to its knees, a better matched HiFi with will show you what an AKAI sine or chopped break REALLY sounds like.

Aquarius - Drift To The Centre

Aquarius - Dolphin Tune

Lemon D - This is LA (the master of the drop)

Oh and what a drop in Lemon D's - I Can't Stop:

Mickdale and Big Tabs like this.
  8. Big Tabs

ace, I will have a listen later. (Mozart playing now)

I have been digging in the spare room and found this which I bought in 1992, probably Selectadisc in Nottm. Haven't heard it for yonks.
    Just giving the L.P's a wet clean.

18" Speaker is a good title for a tune. As well as '£10 To Get In' and '£20 To Get In...'

the forerunners to Jungle, or at least some of it.

Various ‎– **** Off And Die
    Label:
    Shut Up And Dance Records ‎– SUAD COMP 1
    Format:
    2 × Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Limited Edition
    UK
    Released:
    Genre:
    Electronic
    Style:
    Breakbeat, Hardcore

paulfromcamden likes this.
  9. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

I got to know Goldie before he started releasing music. I went to the Rage nights at Heaven, and his events at The Blue Note, as drum 'n' bass and jungle were taking off. Having spent time on the acid house and techno scenes, it was great to hear a new genre coming through. It was also a laugh to try and dance to.

Jack

Big Tabs likes this.
  10. Big Tabs

I would rather dance to jungle and drum & bass than techno "hands in the air like you just don't care." I need space to dance to it.
    My experience of acid and techno dancing was cramped and repetitive. And sweaty.

Please tell me you didn't have glow sticks? :(

It is the rhythm of jungle that I like, it feels more adventurous than techno stylee.

11. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

No, I didn't. :)

Jack

Big Tabs likes this.
  12. Marc O'Brien

I used to love "£20 to get in", then recently I heard the record one of its main hooks was sampled from - Mantronix 'Scream', and realised it was pretty amateur in comparison, but then again Mantronix was a master of the genre (Hip Hop, electro, whatever).

Big Tabs likes this.
  13. Big Tabs

Yes, the Foock Off An Die compilation sounded dated and amateur now, but it captured a moment in British music.

Similar time, early 90's, I got a Daddy Freddy album that sounds amateur as well, but it captures a sound I liked.

Daddy Freddy ‎– Stress
    Label:
    Music Of Life ‎– FREDDY 1
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album
    UK
    Released:
    Genre:
    Hip Hop
    Style:
    Ragga HipHop

14. Marc O'Brien

Well, the US stuff was always more polished, hardcore and jungle were only being released on indie labels, sometimes on white labels, so indie with a small i. I think the Jungle sound was best around 1994/95, a lot of the 'drum 'n' bass stuff for me is just mood muzak.

15. Big Tabs

mmm...

Jungle and then Drum n Bass, came from the U.K.

Mantronix was in a different direction, in my opinion.

16. Big Tabs

vince rocker likes this.
  17. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Squarepusher did a great SUAD mix a few years ago: https://www.factmag.com/2015/04/27/fact-mix-493-squarepusher/

I used to love hearing The Green Man on Pulse FM - their music has aged really well. Apparently really lovely blokes too by all accounts.

Big Tabs likes this.
  18. Simon s

Simon s pfm Member

Anyone wanna sell their decent jungle cuts to me ?!
    The best i could do was mixtapes from the time and i had no idea what most of the tracks were back then.

This thread is making me very nostalgic.

19. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Ganja man!

20. Big Tabs