advertisement

Jumped from Squeezebox to Sonos

zekezebra

pfm Member
Recently swopped out my Squeezebox Touch for a Sonos Boost and Connect. Up and running in about 15 minutes including existing library from NAS and Deezer play lists.

When I compare this with Squeezebox, which I believe is strictly for computer nerds, it’s no wonder Logitech dropped it.

Added bonus of no drop outs and constant re-buffering. Wish I had jumped years ago! And yes I know that there are folk that don’t get these problems, after tweaking LMS to death, but most folk want something that just works.

Haven’t tried Spotify but Deezer was so easy on Sonos. I finally managed to get Deezer on the SBT but certainly wasn’t straight forward.

I recently passed on my SB Boom to a friend and had the same problem with Deezer on her set up. Took a good few attempts to find it and then some days it just disappears!

Also problem with LMS not seeing players until everything is re-set including network, was driving me crazy.

I am struggling with (inaudible almost all of the time, but become audible when the network is being used by my offspring) buffer under runs after changing just about everything. SB TOUCH * 2, hard wired into network, FiTPC3i running Ubuntu 14.04 wired into network with LMS and library on same disk.

Very close to trying jRiver into my M2Tech Young DSD to get rid of these problems and get an easier to use front end. But Sonos would be another way round the problems.

A few people with Ubuntu 14.04 and a Touch have such problems, Mine only became clear when my offspring came back from uni and used the network a lot. So I checked in a lot of detail and found buffer under runs in the Touch log. They are there all the time but vary in frequency and size considerably.

I will have another go at fixing the problem through a factory reset and then a different plugin for audio decoding and then a move to Windows 7..

The Squeezebox infrastructure is incredibly robust. I am still enjoying my Squeezebox 2, now in it's 11th year. SB3, Touch and Picoreplayer. No dropouts, except BBC IPlayer this week (f*&^^%%$ BBC)

I tried Sonos.I felt it was limited compared to the Squeezebox architecture. I'm not a computer nerd. I just read the instructions.Key to performance is the robustness of your network. I currently use a Vortexbox with an asynchronous dac which is controlled by IPeng. The remote is way ahead of the Sonos in terms of function and useability and the sound quality is invariably better, taking account of the original recording engineering. I felt it was more in the lifestyle bracket and was made for a different audience. The Community Server continues to flourish and improve and there a there is continuing development of new hardware that can use the server. For the time being, I'll stick with the Squeezebox thanks

Del

Sonos is a bit locked in. Not that there is anything wrong with that but you pay for reliability, mesh net and you are the mercy of what services they allow into their ecosystem.

For me, Volumio all the way baby. On a Pi or a Cubox its a bit hairshirt (no album art -- which I actually prefer) but its web based so anything running a web browser can control it. Better still, the Pi's USB works directly plugged into the USB port of the Devialet. no i2S no SPDIF bits in bits out.

I am a bit weird in that I like a different app for the service I am using. I like to see if its Tidal (who are getting the boot if gapless is not here by end of the month), Qobuz, etc.

There is no one universal solution, there never is. And that's a good thing when we find what works for us.

The Squeezebox/Spotify link when playing via mysqueezebox.com was just flat out unreliable - buffering, random rebooting, you name it. Nothing to do with my network which, in every other respect, performs admirably.

If all you want is to listen to Spotify, Internet Radio and your music collection stored on a local PC or server, Sonos is the way to go. Easy and completely hassle-free.

I use the lms rather than MySqueezebox.com. This runs on the Vortexbox.For Spotify I use Triodes App. The official app is flakey. I also play Quobuz. Tidal is available through the Ickstream App, which is a kind of MySqueezebox.com replacement, but it doesn't have enough classical for me and reviews have been varied. It's a wonderful set up. I have Squeezebox Touch attached to a speaker in the kitchen and a Pi with Picoreplayer upstairs. All very reliable and great fun.

The 3rd party app for Spotify (Triode) which I've used is much more reliable, I think this needs a local server.

Also Squeeze Commander is much better than the standard Android app.

Just with these two steps you're well on your way to a slicker everyday experience.

The Squeezebox/Spotify link when playing via mysqueezebox.com was just flat out unreliable - buffering, random rebooting, you name it.

Ah, that explains it then. I run the third party spotify add-on and never have any issues with booting, or any buffering except when the network is clearly having issues anyway.

All my experiences with mysqueezebox.com have been negative - but I really don't see the point with using it as running your own squeezebox server is so easy.

I've been running a SB Touch for a number of years now. I have had very very few issues with it - when I have had a problem I usually find it's a local network problem. Spotify works a treat - never had a problem with it. Same as internet radio.

I haven't had any experience of Sonos so can't compare but SBT does everything I want and does it very well indeed.

SB Touch and SB3 since the SB3 was new. No problems running from a Synology NAS. Currently looking into expanding with a Rasberry Pi as I really like the LMS and with the third part spotify plugin never really had a problem with the streaming part either.

Ah, that explains it then. I run the third party spotify add-on and never have any issues with booting, or any buffering except when the network is clearly having issues anyway.

All my experiences with mysqueezebox.com have been negative - but I really don't see the point with using it as running your own squeezebox server is so easy.

Different strokes for different folks Julf. I decided early on that I didn't want to store my music in digital format locally (other than in the form of CDs of course) and that the (alleged) limitations of 320 kbps streaming were not an issue for me. And I didn;t want to set up a separate server just for streaming web-based music services or be committed to always having my laptop running when I was listening to music. Sadly, Mysqueezebox wasn't up to the job. I'm happy that other people appreciate their SBTs though.

advertisement

Back