advertisement

JR149s

rstloup

pfm Member
A pair of JR149s came up for sale through a friend of a friend. I've never heard BBC monitors so my understanding of the sound signature is only what I've read through here. I have a set-up with Linn Kan IIs right now through a 42/110. How would the 149s fare through my existing amplification? Would positioning work well on top of the Kan stands and close to the wall or do they need more breathing room? I'm happy with the Kans, but am also curious about the 149s -- especially for music which needs a larger soundstage than the Kans can do. Any thoughts would be welcome. I've read through Tony's big 149 thread!

I don't have experience with Kans nor a 42/110 but I'm currently listening to JR149s positioned approx 20cm from the wall in a fairly compact room and have no problem with bass boom or tubbiness. In terms of soundstage the speakers do image better when pulled out from the wall more, but I suspect this is at least partly due to having my hifi rack placed between them which protrudes further out into the room, because I experience a similar issue with my big Celestions.

They should be happy enough on the end of the Naim, Jim Rogers appeared to have a NAP 120 in his lab. You won’t get all the imaging they are capable of, but they’ll be fun for sure. The can stands will be fine, but replace the top-spikes with counter-sunk allen bolts as they’ll make a horrible mess of the 149s thin alloy bases and almost certainly make the sound a lot worse than Blu-Tac or felt pads. They want about 8-10” behind them IME, so expect to bring them out from the wall compared to the Kan.

They should be happy enough on the end of the Naim, Jim Rogers appeared to have a NAP 120 in his lab. You won’t get all the imaging they are capable of, but they’ll be fun for sure. The can stands will be fine, but replace the top-spikes with counter-sunk allen bolts as they’ll make a horrible mess of the 149s thin alloy bases and almost certainly make the sound a lot worse than Blu-Tac or felt pads. They want about 8-10” behind them IME, so expect to bring them out from the wall compared to the Kan.

Thank you very much for all this info!

advertisement

Back