advertisement

JR149 Foam covers

kevinrt

pfm Member
I bought a pair of JR149 about 3 years ago which came with newish looking foam covers.

I‘ve noticed in the last 6 months that the foams are starting to disintegrate. There are black crumbs on the shelf around the bases and they tore easily when I moved them.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Is 3 years a realistic lifespan for these foams?
Has anyone bought some replacements which have lasted better?

regards

Kevin

Mine, which I got made at great expense by a US speaker foam company as the UK ones weren’t available at the time, are over ten years old now and seem fine. I can’t recall the brand (its on my JR149 thread somewhere), but they did claim they were UV protected to some degree. I tend to cover them with a t-shirt in the summer though as they are in one of the few rooms that can get direct sunlight.

53167933832_77dc922086_b.jpg

Here’s a recent pic, still fine, no crumbling.

I bought a pair of JR149 about 3 years ago which came with newish looking foam covers.

I‘ve noticed in the last 6 months that the foams are starting to disintegrate. There are black crumbs on the shelf around the bases and they tore easily when I moved them.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Is 3 years a realistic lifespan for these foams?
Has anyone bought some replacements which have lasted better?

regards

Kevin
There are thin plain foam types and the proper ribbed ones like Tony has.
I bought some proper ribbed ones off ebay ,think think it was grayham hartle can dig out the link if needed ,my two pairs are still mint and not breaking up,covers are not cheap but make the speakers.
Always carful when peeling them back from the velco on the cylinder.

How new were they? I know that Graham Hartle was making JR149 and JR150 foams in the late 2000s and he was probably making them before then, so there's a chance the foams on your speakers could be 15+ years old.

How new were they? I know that Graham Hartle was making JR149 and JR150 foams in the late 2000s and he was probably making them before then, so there's a chance the foams on your speakers could be 15+ years old.

Mine looked pristine when I bought them. I assumed the seller (a business rather than private sale) had bought them to make them look good for sale.

They are the ribbed type rather than smooth surfaces.

They could have been older of course, but my impression was they were new (I think they had a ’new foam’ smell, if that makes sense).

The only current ebay seller I can see (gshg-48) seems to have joined ebay in 2020. Is Graham Hartle still selling these?

Pretty sure this is Graham Hartle:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mine looked pristine when I bought them. I assumed the seller (a business rather than private sale) had bought them to make them look good for sale.

They are the ribbed type rather than smooth surfaces.

They could have been older of course, but my impression was they were new (I think they had a ’new foam’ smell, if that makes sense).

The only current ebay seller I can see (gshg-48) seems to have joined ebay in 2020. Is Graham Hartle still selling these?
Yes, gshg-48 is Graham Hartle. He started making them again in 2020 after a hiatus of several years.

Pretty sure this is Graham Hartle:

there the ones....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My JR149s are looking very smart again in their new covers. Sound just the same.

I’ll report back in 3 years as to whether these have faired any better than the last set.

That ebay seller linked to was definitely Graham Hartle (invoice with his name on it).

regards

Kevin

Sadly the Graham Hartle foam covers seem to be unavailable once more. Annoying as I need some for my pair.

My previous pair of JR149s I bought foam covers off the American supplier, a couple of days after they were shipped the Graham Hartle ones suddenly became reavailable at 1/2 the cost I had just paid!

Even the American ones seem to be unavailable now, the link to the website no longer works.

I have dropped Graham Hartle a message to ask if he plans to make any more, I'll update this thread with his reply.

TS

Just had a message back off Graham Hartle. Sadly he has no plans to make any more of these foam covers, no money in it. Says he may look into it again later in the year.

All very frustrating from my perspective but not a lot I can do except make do with a pair of the plain covers for now.

TS

advertisement

Back