advertisement

Journalism or public relations?

I did not give reasons as to why people read magazines , I distilled what I believe to be the essence of the argument and people's complaints at magazines .

My point was that if you dont see magazines as some kind of oracle of truth , there is no point moaning at them , you may as well moan at coronation street for its portrayal of Manchester .

Human beings are complex they do all things for many reasons and motivations , I am happy to accept your reasons as genuine , they are just semantically suspect and not germane in response to my post , cynical or not .

Also in essence you proved my point , except you add a subtle nuance that instead of telling you what to buy , you seek them to tell you what short list to construct .

I did not give reasons as to why people read magazines , I distilled what I believe to be the essence of the arguement and people's complaints at magazines .

Human beings are complex they do all things for many reasons and motivations , I am happy to accept your reasons as genuine , they are just semantically suspect and not germane in response to my post , cynical or not .

Also in essence you proved my point , except you add a subtle nuance that instead of telling you what to buy , you seek them to tell you what short list to construct .

What does "semantically suspect" mean? Not picking a fight, I genuinely haven't a clue what you meant.

I wasn't responding per se to your post, but quoted it because it made me think why I like reading some hi-fi mags.

Nic P

Okay I accept what you say - however. the use of the word cynical is not neutral it is negative . Hence the defence .

semantically suspect, in this context you can take to mean that I was inferring the meaning of your post and all you said was irrelevant to the point I had made previously which you appeared to be taking issue with by labelling it cynical .

Okay I accept what you say - however. the use of the word cynical is not neutral it is negative . Hence the defence .

semantically suspect, in this context you can take to mean that I was inferring the meaning of your post and all you said was irrelevant to the point I had made previously which you appeared to be taking issue with by labelling it cynical .

Now you have pointed it out "cynical" is not the right word and does sound hostile - for which I apologise. Even with a few minutes thought I cannot think of the correct word. Certainly some of the behaviours you mention as possible reasons for reading mags are not admirable. Edit: I should have said "more flattering".

Nic P

Alan you'll be happy to know I parted company with a fiver yesterday for your latest issue and WHS didn't get a penny of it.

Thank you!

Edit: And as an extra free gift, you wanted us to discuss portable audio. Here's a first review of the Meridian Audio Explorer USB DAC/Headphone amplifier:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/world-exclusive-meridian-audio-explorer-usb-dacheadphone-amplifier-hi-fi/

It's a great little DAC at a great price that didn't technically exist an hour ago.

getting back to the OP - i genuinely feel we all need to support the audio press - they are our mouthpiece to the uninitiated - the more of us that buy / subscribe (cheap as chips digitally), the stronger we empower our representatives in the wider world (ie on the shelves etc etc )

our forums are run by inmates for inmates, but magazines have the power to speak on our behalf to a wider public but only if empowered - as readership dwindles and we condemn them - we emaciate them - by subscribing, we empower them, and by default our own voice......

What's wrong with reviewing the Colorfly or Fostex versions?!

Nothing at all. I reviewed the Fostex HP-P1 several months ago, and the review was loaded up on the site in December last year. We missed out on the Dragonfly when it launched and it seems a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Mea culpa re: Fostex: looks like I missed that issue.

But not Dragonfly . . . Colorfly C4: portable audiophile 24/192 goodness with a woody steampunk vibe.

PRODUCT_c4.jpg

advertisement

Back