advertisement

Jools Hollands Hootenanny BBC 2

Half a dozen good tunes in two+ hours.

It's getting harder.

The good stuff was pretty good though.

HNY.

Happy New Year you bunch of miserable old bastards you all actually took the time to watch some or all of the show and then actually took the time to come on line and moan about how shit it was. Do you think the rest of the population were scrutinising Chaka Khans vocal performance or gave a toss who sang what where no they were all busy enjoying themselves.

We always enjoy seeing out the year with Jools as always an interesting line up. The line-up will feature Chaka Khan, Christine and the Queens, Roy Wood, Rag'n'Bone Man, Gregory Porter, ABC, Seasick Steve, Dr. John Cooper Clarke & Hugh Cornwell, Caravan Palace, along with Ali Campbell, Astro and Mickey from UB40, Imelda May, and Ruby Turner

A very happy new year play mates. got to admit once you separated the wheat from the chaff it was one of the most pleasing hootenanny's for a long time thoroughly enjoyed it. despite the big band adding James Bond overtones to everything. Gregory Porter and Sea Sick Steve stealing the show though i have to admit that ABC were excellent. Martin Fry not shying away from any of the high notes. Chaka Kahn was a little worrying clad in rubber and needing some of the air letting out. I loved Caravan Palace. Roy Wood however, scored high on the sympathy vote though very nostalgic. Imelda May, well , bloody hell, she was great A great alternative methinks to Robbie Williams and expensive fireworks display.
UB40 seems to be sponsored by Greggs judging by his belly. A bit pub singer methinks. great to hear a Hohner Clavinet D6 again though. john Cooper Clarke i simply can't resist. Wonderful stuff. Well done Jools and aunty Beeb. It may not have been to everyones taste but i loved it. Christine and the queens version of the Terence Trent Darby classic "Sign Your Name Across My Heart2 i thought was excellent though Gregory Porter's duo with rag and bone man topped the lot! A lot of joy to be found amidst the revelry here.

What of new years day/ well, i think i might just dig out my ABC lp's. All the best folks.

Happy New Year you bunch of miserable old bastards you all actually took the time to watch some or all of the show and then actually took the time to come on line and moan about how shit it was. Do you think the rest of the population were scrutinising Chaka Khans vocal performance or gave a toss who sang what where no they were all busy enjoying themselves.

Quite! :) It does appear to be a pfm hobby - look for threads in which a reader has no interest then posting to tell the world how little interest they have!

Happy New Year all!

Mick

Loved it!

Stuff I know I don't know.

ABC were great and Seasick Steve has been on Spotify all morning.

ABC really did nail their '80s sound beautifully live, a hard thing to pull off as it was one of those multi-layered Tevor Horn productions. Very impressive. I've no idea what to make of Seasick Steve; sure he has some great blues riffs and gets some astonishing power from what looks like junk with a couple of strings on it, but the fakeness of the image grates on me (IIRC he was a pretty respected session muso prior to adopting this whole persona).

ABC really did nail their '80s sound beautifully live, a hard thing to pull off as it was one of those multi-layered Tevor Horn productions. Very impressive. I've no idea what to make of Seasick Steve; sure he has some great blues riffs and gets some astonishing power from what looks like junk with a couple of strings on it, but the fakeness of the image grates on me (IIRC he was a pretty respected session muso prior to adopting this whole persona).

I had no idea there is a back story behind Seasick Steve, I just enjoyed the music.

I thought it was good. Nice to see and hear a big band on TV. Seasick Steve was good too. What Chaka Khan wears is up to her, and I thought it was amusing.

I've no idea what to make of Seasick Steve; sure he has some great blues riffs and gets some astonishing power from what looks like junk with a couple of strings on it, but the fakeness of the image grates on me (IIRC he was a pretty respected session muso prior to adopting this whole persona).

...and ten years younger then he gives out...LOL....but I enjoyed him anyway.

Overall verdict on the programme = quite a good one.

I saw only Chaka Khan's first number and thought she was very good. We used to play her album 'I feel for you' to death at parties. I don't 'get' Seasick Steve at all. Despite enjoying blues immensely I fail to see his appeal or indeed talent.
I was most impressed by Imelda May. She looked and sounded great but sadly I can't see any recordings of her performing jazz numbers.

I think Seasick Steve appealed to the middle class Glastonbury festival types who think he's the real deal.
Imelda May has had a makeover! I think she would do better sticking with the previous rockabilly look.

Well I lasted to the end this time which hasn't happened for a few years. A sign of improvement? Hmmm...

(...although I missed ABC which would have terminated the proceedings for me.)

:)

Just watched it on iPlayer. Most of the show was appalling apart from Chaka Khan, ABC and Roy Wood, from the old fogies department. It helps that they have such great material to begin with.

The only acts I would pay to see are Christine and the Queens and John Cooper Clark, although I can live without his outing with Hugh Cornwell.

Roy Wood wrote some fantastic songs in the dim and distant. It will be interesting to hear his forthcoming composition for Nigel Kennedy.

It is about time the BBC shot Jools' NYE show in the head. It is like The Walking Dead with a piano player.

Jack

Just watched it on iPlayer. Most of the show was appalling apart from Chaka Khan, ABC and Roy Wood, from the old fogies department. It helps that they have such great material to begin with.

The only acts I would pay to see are Christine and the Queens and John Cooper Clark, although I can live without his outing with Hugh Cornwell.

Roy Wood wrote some fantastic songs in the dim and distant. It will be interesting to hear his forthcoming composition for Nigel Kennedy.

It is about time the BBC shot Jools' NYE show in the head. It is like The Walking Dead with a piano player.

Jack

The boogie-woogie walking dead from BBC2.

advertisement

Back