advertisement

John Williams - Violin Concerto #2

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
John Williams has composed and recorded his second violin concerto. I'm not sure when he composed it but it's available to buy here @ Amazon on CD and LP (vinyl), with a blu ray release coming in due course; apparently, the blu ray includes 5.1 and Atmos surround mixes as well as concert footage of the concerto in full (see below for the 2nd movement of said concert).

I like it and I'll be buying a copy for sure, probably the blu ray for the concert footage.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have the audio recording of this and it is really good - much knottier and grittier than his usual film music. I wish he had written more concert music. I find his film music too sentimental and overbearing, there's far too much of it and its ruined too many good movies! More like this please - maybe he's still got time to write more concertos and maybe a symphony? But he is 90 now, sadly.

I have the audio recording of this and it is really good - much knottier and grittier than his usual film music. I wish he had written more concert music. I find his film music too sentimental and overbearing, there's far too much of it and its ruined too many good movies! More like this please - maybe he's still got time to write more concertos and maybe a symphony? But he is 90 now, sadly.

Agreed. Williams knows how to write a film score that seems to convey a little too much sentimentality, no doubt about it, but there's enough texture in the second movement here to suggest he knows how to write music that reflects life in the real world, where things aren't always so sweet and pure. Good to hear that the concerto has more knots and grit to offer :)

While he was still alive, there was a fascinating week of interviews with Andre Previn on Radio 3. He was great friends with JW and used to regularly encourage him in his serious music - I think Williams is very critical of himself in this repertoire.

I would not for a second criticise his film music. It is what it is and is precisely what Williams wants it to be in any given situation. Reminds me of John Rutter who can write serious and wonderful stuff...it's just those saccharine carols, like JW's film scores...pay the bills.

I listened to this concerto in full last night and it does have some gritty/knotty texture in places. There's a hint of saccharine here and there as well but not enough to put you off from listening. Interestingly, there was a certain moment when I thought I could hear a taxi coming...

advertisement

Back