advertisement

John Stewart

jonnypsvinyl

pfm Member
Around six months back I stumbled upon John Stewart's Calafornia Bloodlines which, I am ashamed to say, I had never heard before. Since discovering it, it has been elevated to astral weeks/whats going on/white album type exhalted status in my collection, and played constantly. It is one of the best albums I have ever heard (the live album is also amazing)

I have since been on the lookout for UK dates, as he still tours a fair bit apparently. I was therefore appaled to read the news this morning that he has died;

http://www.chillywinds.com/

A great shame.

Sad indeed! At least it may lead to more people noticing his music.

Alongside 'California Bloodlines' there is 'Willard', similar in style and another masterpiece. For a different, more poppy John Stewart, 'Bombs away Dream Babies' is interesting, but not a patch on the more folky stuff (IMHO).

I quite like Bombs Away Dream Babies but have not listened to it in a long time. I also think that I might have some other albums by him. I must dig them out tonight and have a listen. Thanks for the prompt and sorry for the sad news.

Thanks for the notice. I interviewed him in 1979, when he had the hit. Charming, kind and humorous... and his music is sublime. Now playing- what else, Bloodlines.

I'd also recommend The Phoenix Concerts. A good live document that captures the character of the man. Not dissimilar to Townes van Zant Live at the Old Quarter in that way. I recall Zig Zag magazine in the mid 70s being huge fans of John Stewart and there was a good magazine called Ohama Rainbow that obviously featured him heavily, taking its name from one of his songs. And Daydream Believer is a great song.
Kevin

advertisement

Back