advertisement

John o’ Groats to Land’s End virtual walk

Virtual meet at the Ship Inn Elie?How do you do that?
I could bring La Nerthe 2010 but you won't drink it, dubious provenance.

Virtual meet at the Ship Inn Elie?How do you do that?
I post a flag on the map (see Tomintoul) with your name on it, together with a photo of the location (from you, if you wish, or from another source.) When I catch up on the backlog of non-wine posts on the brand-new multi-function virtual walk web facility and cross-platform wine blog resource I’ll post a load of nonsense there too.
I could bring La Nerthe 2010 but you won't drink it, dubious provenance.
I won’t buy it, dubious provenance. If someone else is taking the risk and footing the bill, I’m in!

Marchbanks, I don't want to monopolise your time and energy, but as you're already dropping by to pay your respects to the birthplace of the NHS, you might like to detour a mile or so from that to visit this other wondrous pair of edifices:

220px-Barton_Swing_Aqueduct_11.05.02R.jpg

which, I was reminded by this thread, we are also blest to live adjacent to.

Cody Dock Rolling Bridge

The bridges are also a short walk along the Ship Canal from your employer's Northern campus at Media City, in case the coffers need a little top up en route.

Was it fair or raining, down here it was rain all day.

Of course for you it will always be sunny when you walk :D
The photo shows dark clouds with some bright evening sun - but I admit that might not be 100% truthful.

You mentioned earlier you were ‘most often to be found in the Border Hills.’ Would you like to specify our meeting place there?

Marchbanks, I don't want to monopolise your time and energy, but as you're already dropping by to pay your respects to the birthplace of the NHS, you might like to detour a mile or so from that to visit this other wondrous pair of edifices:

220px-Barton_Swing_Aqueduct_11.05.02R.jpg
It’s possible. I’d thought about the Anderton Boat Lift, which came up in conversation when I was having a chat with a local farmer while out walking last Friday. But as the number of virtual meets set up in the NW is currently a measly two, let’s see if someone that lives by one or the other is willing to see me there, rather than make it a simple detour.

I had fancied seeing the Falkirk Wheel, but I will be going in the wrong direction out of Edinburgh.

[teaser] Tomorrow looks like a scary and rather energetic day. Better start limbering up - where’s that Butler’s Friend gone?

Last edited:
"300 miles walked! That landmark came at the end of Harbour View, Methil. Bayview Stadium, home to East Fife FC, is just 150m down the road. Seems as good a reason as any to choose East Fife as my favourite football team" https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44916496 Probably one of Eric Morecambe's favourite teams. In 2018 The Scottish League Cup Group B tie between the sides went to penalties after a 1-1 draw. And the score in the shootout? East Fife 4 Forfar 5.

Another day, another river, another landmark.

i.php

The walk over the Forth Rd Bridge is a real pleasure. The views of the new fourth crossing on the Firth of Forth, down onto Hound Point in the Dalmeny Estate and N.Queensferry on the opposite side. The medieval priory on Inchcolm Island at Mortimers Deep. A stop at the 17thC Hawes Inn in South Queensferry (described in Robert Louis Stevenson’s Kidnapped) for a glass is essential.

advertisement

Back