advertisement

John o’ Groats to Land’s End virtual walk

Excellent!
The world needs more Marchbanks foolery, so I'm definitely up for this.
After you have grown weary of Manchester (how long might that take?), drop down discreetly to lovely Shrewsbury (*), where I will reward you with a virtual lunch here:
xBXNPub.jpg

Yes, that's right; it's the world's first skyscraper (really!) now known as Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings, and we can meet up on that little platform you see in the picture where my butler will have set out a splendid refreshment on my fold-up picnic table with best white linen. Unmissable!
(*) But for god's sake don't go calling it "Shrows-bury" or anything poncy like that. "Shoosby" will ensure that you blend in unnoticeably with your fellow man, which I'm guessing is a priority for you. See you there!
ML

I’m close, but a little bit too far of your route. Near Banchory. I must admit to being unclear how this works. At the appropriate time does one meet online for small libation? I could meet you at Braemar, the closest approach.

I’m close, but a little bit too far of your route. Near Banchory. I must admit to being unclear how this works. At the appropriate time does one meet online for small libation? I could meet you at Braemar, the closest approach.
I’m not surprised you are unclear, because as usual I’ve begun a task without really knowing how I’ll go about it. But there will be no effort required - once a rendezvous has been arranged I’ll simply post when I have made it. And I hope to keep an up-to-date chart with little flags showing who was met and where if I can work out how to use Google Maps properly.

Yes, Banchory is probably too far off the route - it would mean a detour of a week or more. I’ll wave in your direction when I get to Braemar.

Excellent!
After you have grown weary of Manchester (how long might that take?), drop down discreetly to lovely Shrewsbury (*), where I will reward you with a virtual lunch here:
xBXNPub.jpg

Yes, that's right; it's the world's first skyscraper (really!) now known as Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings, and we can meet up on that little platform you see in the picture where my butler will have set out a splendid refreshment on my fold-up picnic table with best white linen. Unmissable!
(*) But for god's sake don't go calling it "Shrows-bury" or anything poncy like that. "Shoosby" will ensure that you blend in unnoticeably with your fellow man, which I'm guessing is a priority for you. See you there!
ML
The section from Manchester to Bristol is now starting to shape up. Nothing yet between Edinburgh and Manchester though (apart from a vague desire to stand under Ribblehead Viaduct again), or on the home straight through the south-west.

I admit I’m a little distressed that although we are just out of the season of goodwill, no-one south of Edinburgh, down the west side of the Pennines and into Manchester from the north seems willing to give virtual shelter to a frail, confused and pungent old man.

I admit I’m a little distressed that although we are just out of the season of goodwill, no-one south of Edinburgh, down the west side of the Pennines and into Manchester from the north seems willing to give virtual shelter to a frail, confused and pungent old man.

Plangent as well?

And in particular, a man known to keep a well-stocked cellar and, by association, similar for his virtual knapsack.

Where are you currently, it's about 12.22pm Saturday?

I am in the Scottish Borders, there are some nice pubs in Melrose, if you go by Hawick you will fall off the end of the world, sorry local joke :D

Of course if you went down the East Coast you could drop in at Gullane, we could have a game of golf on one of the 13 golf courses near, see my avatar for the view from the 7th tee, great pubs and a nice sea breeze.

If he went down the East Coast, at some point he would have to turn right for Lands End, which makes me inclined to offer a beverage in Chichester on the way past.
If he goes via Rochdale, then he’ll have to miss out on the Belgian Monkspiss Claudia Vicebeer I have a crate of, just for such eventualities.

I’m wondering if as part of the walk a visit to pfm central Rochdale is planned?

There's certainly no missing pfmzentraale: the PJWalkerDom, DriveDirektTTzentraale etc - oh, and don't miss the one hidden round the back dedicated to anything recorded on Bluenote/Verve/Riverside, 1947 - 65.

The Host is excellent company.

PFMzentraal.jpg

It's more important it actually exists, and not just (1) a figment in the imagination of certain blokes of a certain age (2) worrying about exactly where.

I’m wondering if as part of the walk a visit to pfm central Rochdale is planned? Certainly will be giving you a wave as you head past the meet that @Sue Pertwee-Tyr has organised
I haven’t yet received an invitation, and as I’m not one to foist myself upon other people (well, OK, there’s a restraining order, but the principle holds)… it seems extraordinary that such an obviously important and ground-breaking thread has slipped under the boss’ radar, but perhaps he’s been busy policing the politicos. Maybe if I say something really contentious it might get reported and thus bring the thread to his attention.

Miles sucks!

There, let’s see if that works.

You can set up your own virtual rendezvous if you like. No need to share, unless you particularly want to. There’s no limit to the number I can make, just nominate somewhere in your neighbourhood.

Last edited:
Where are you currently, it's about 12.22pm Saturday?

I am in the Scottish Borders, there are some nice pubs in Melrose, if you go by Hawick you will fall off the end of the world, sorry local joke :D

Of course if you went down the East Coast you could drop in at Gullane, we could have a game of golf on one of the 13 golf courses near, see my avatar for the view from the 7th tee, great pubs and a nice sea breeze.
Today’s walk was over by 12.22, so I was exactly where I am now - a place called Latheronwheel, which boasts a burn, a bridge, a pretty little harbour and - astonishingly, for this area - a few inhabitants.

Melrose is definitely feasible, if that is your patch. Just nominate a meeting-place. The only rule - in an area where you can be found a good deal of the time.

Well if you're pondering a wander down the East coast, then heading West before you splash into the sea, then a tramp through the vineyards of West Chiltington might be a pleasant brief interlude before Chichester.

Excellent!
xBXNPub.jpg

ML

Well, if you're coming via Shrewsbury, then the obvious onward route is via the Marches, calling at Ludlow and our little place near Leominster ("Lemster") in North Herefordshire. Most welcome.

Well, if you're coming via Shrewsbury, then the obvious onward route is via the Marches, calling at Ludlow and our little place near Leominster ("Lemster") in North Herefordshire. Most welcome.
The Marches was indeed my plan. Shrewsbury to Hereford (or Tanners to Tanners in my book) then on towards Monmouth and the Severn Bridge. So Leominster would be good - tell me your favoured spot.

The Marches was indeed my plan. Shrewsbury to Hereford (or Tanners to Tanners in my book) then on towards Monmouth and the Severn Bridge. So Leominster would be good - tell me your favoured spot.

Jolly good ! And, after a call off at Tanners and another in sight, you probably will be jolly !

Knowing how good a walker you are, I'd plan in a couple of dogs-legs. Get yourself from Shrewsbury to Bishop's Castle (Yarborough House bookshop and a vast selection of 2nd-hand CDs; Three Tuns Inn for good food and home brewed ale). Then the dog's-leg, supposing you'll not want to miss Ludlow, but then another, back west again, to Leintwardine (stop off at the Red Lion). I'll meet you a few miles further on at The Riverside in Aymestrey.

After that it's a quick 18 mile skip down the A4110 to Hereford. See you at The Riverside. :)

advertisement

Back