advertisement

John McLaughlin

I feel the same way. I remember Zappa saying something like ‘I don’t always like what he plays, but he’s obviously found a way to operate a guitar like a machine gun and that’s the sort of thing young people go for these days.’

funnily enough, on the wiki entry on Zappa (I think) I found McL's comment on Zappa's guitar-playing more pertinent (I like Zappa instrumentally tho').

with regard to Johnners, I do find myself thinking on recordings that sometimes he's not as 'fluent' as I expect him to be in terms of the technical cliche attached to him - I suspect that's intentional on his part.
I seem to remember the Mahavishnu live recording (in central Park - 'from nothingness to eternity' I think) being really exhilarating in terms of his playing.

Im no jazz aficionado but the After The Rain album is pretty accessible. Just John McLaughlin with Elvin Jones on drums and, erm, someone on Hammond organ.

Passed away this year (?) Paco de Lucia , missed by me. Great player,game changer.Try Gerardo Nunez,Tomatito, for more great Flamenco....and Son de la Frontera.

Not many people know this, but he played with the MC5.

This is, of course the Mike Carr (brother of Ian Carr) five, the Newcastle post-bop quintet active in the very early 60’s. I have an album of their stuff, and it’s pretty good, if a tad anachronistic compared to the Don Rendell and Ian Carr stuff that followed it.

Also dug into some of his recent stuff on Spotify yesterday. Seems, like Larry Coryell, he has rediscovered his noisy side in his latter years. Which is no bad thing.

Hi all,

Larry Coryell - now there was a musician, the Eleventh House Level One recording still being a fav with me.

Regards

B

I only ever seen Larry Coryell play live once. It was in a version of Shakti but with Larry taking John McLaughlins place - a special evening of music.

Regards

B

funnily enough, on the wiki entry on Zappa (I think) I found McL's comment on Zappa's guitar-playing more pertinent (I like Zappa instrumentally tho').

What's the Zappa track where he pays a number of solos taking the p*** out of a number of players including John M? It's on "Man from Utopia" or "Tinseltown Rebellion" I think.

my problem with Zappa remains all the piss-taking tbh.

OT, whether you like McLaughlin at all, or just some of his hugely varied output etc, I certainly think he should be mightily celebrated for his ceaseless devotion to creating essentially uncompromising Music and exploring so many avenues / never resting on his laurels.

I was fortunate enough to see The Mahavishnu Orchestra play at a Crystal Palace Bowl concert (along with Yes & Lindisfarne - great concert!) and I've been a fan ever since. "Visions of The Emerald Beyond" is probably my most played album, still love it. For Later Mclaughlin stuff I can recommend "Live at the Royal Festival Hall".

Of the early albums I really rate Extrapolation, My Goal's Beyond (for some superb solo guitar) and The Inner Mounting Flame.

As regard the later albums, The Promise displays to great effect, McLaughlin's wide range of styles and playing.

They went out under the name "Peshkar", as I recall...

Hi Tumeni Notes,

Thanks for reminding me.

I'd fallen away from McLaughlins live performances in recent years but see that he's having a last hoorah (he previously said he was retiring from live performance if I recall correctly) and as I've not seen the 4th dimension I might just go along to a show, especially with Gary Husband as part of the line up.

Have to agree with Suffolk Tony re Visions of The Emerald Beyond which for me is one of the greats, its a fantastic album which I've never tired of.

Regards

Brian

Last edited:

advertisement

Back