advertisement

John Lennon

Blurboy

pfm Member
Tomorrow marks the 30th anniversary of the death of in my opinion the greatest song-writer ever. His style of songwriting and his whole attitude has influenced millions and millions of people around the world and still does today. I listen to his music and it really does come from the heart and every song tells a story and I also believe he was getting better and better and where it would have been today then we can only guess. A tragic end to an unbelieveable person and very sorely missed now

Not the greatest, Dylan is though I am a huge Beatles fan, anyway stood outside the Dakota a couple of years ago and felt uncomfortable having my photo taken as it brought back mixed memories for all the wrong reasons.

The thing that amazes me is that he was just 40 at the time he was killed. All that music and just 40. Same argument applies to Marc Bolan (29) and obviously John Coltrane (40). Just staggering levels of creativity.

Tony.

Tony your so right and especially with Marc Bolan who I grew up listening too. Lennon for me became so "polished" in his latter years and to me was just getting better and better. BBC4 have some programmes on tomorrow so I'll be glued to the tv lol.

..and bear in mind that Lennon took about 5 years out in the 70's for his family etc. Clearly as a person he was a grade 1 **** in his younger years but that time out had a big impact on him. Whether he would have continued to be as "crucial" in later years...that is the sad thing we will never know.

Like the rest of the fab4, I think their best, most creative work was when working in combination with each other. The "bitter/sweet" combo of Lennon & Mcartney was frequently sublime, whereas a fair bit of Lennons solo work was a bit uninspired & sounds like he's just working on autopilot. To my ears, anyway.

Turn the clock back a few years & the creativity on Revolver/Sgt Pepper etc was in a different league.
Matt.

Clearly as a person he was a grade 1 **** in his younger years but that time out had a big impact on him.

I'm afraid that ****yness continued into his later years; think "Mae Pang" and "Lost weekend".

The Beatles are not really my bag, but there is no denying that there was a certain planetary alignment when fate put those four in Liverpool at that time.
I still think George is the only one who made great music as a solo artist, but in the Beatles it was Lennon/McCartney mk I & mkII, no question.

For me the later Lennon output was too much preaching. He was the prototype Bono.
My personal opinion is that his last albums were too introverted, self-righteous and average and clearly he was capable of much better, but too far up himself to ever be able to produce it.

I've visited his childhood home in Liverpool - and the others - and it blows my mind to think of these young kids writing songs that were unknowingly going to change the world, but that's where the greatness and magic was - it was then. The rest was just legacy.

Tragic as it is, he has at least been spared the expectation and possible disappointment of the public, and his greatness remains in suspension. That's just the way it is.

I mourn for the passing of the 1960s Lennon. I've stood outside the Dakota and visited his memorial in Central Park. He is and will always remain a legend.

I love the Beatles but I’m not a big fan of his solo work, a great loss either way. However, my heart goes out to the poor sufferers who tonight will have to witness one of Yoko’s gigs.

What we conveniently forget is that Lennon was persona non grata in the United States, presumably due to his history of drug use. Had he not been so well off, and able to hire heavy duty lawyers, they'd have fired him out on his ear long before. I often wonder if the CIA arranged his demise.

advertisement

Back