advertisement

John Coltrane - Meditations

Maybe Expression? Lots of lyrical moments there, less full-on than some of his free stuff.

Just giving it a spin now. I like it; as you say, a bit gentler. It doesn't have that "jazz combo falling down a never ending flight of stairs" vibe a lot of free jazz has to my ears.

I’ve rarely met a Coltrane album I didn’t like (“Olatunji” was a recent purchase and I thought it was a jawdropper, in a good way) but I don’t think anybody’s specifically recommended “My Favorite Things” here as a taster and I wanted to fix that.

Just giving it a spin now. I like it; as you say, a bit gentler. It doesn't have that "jazz combo falling down a never ending flight of stairs" vibe a lot of free jazz has to my ears.
Oh good. Maybe this looser, less frenetic kind of free could be your way into it. I wonder if anyone else has suggestions along this line, I'd be interested myself. I'm thinking maybe later Don Cherry, Marion Brown's Sweet Earth Flying, Sun Ra's Lanquidity. I get a krautrock vibe from some of this stuff and I know that's your thing.

advertisement

Back