advertisement

Joel

Setting Son

Karma, ne?
Joel,

Intrigued by your post earlier this week which mentioned Tokyo Gakuso, and your taste in music in general [not that it's a preoccupation of mine, you understand :) ] could I ask for a top five, or more if you like, recommendations?

Thanks,

ss

In no particular order of preference:
#1 Batwa Ekonda- an album of Bantu Pygmy fusion on Ocora. This is a very accessible intro to both Pygmy and Bantu (ie pretty much everything else) African traditional music. Precision polyphony and deep, deep rhythm.
#2 Golden Earth - Music from Bali (Nonesuch Explorer) a fine introduction to Gamelan (but no more than that) on Nonesuch Explorer. Note that the LP goes much deeper than the CD.
#3 Tokyo Gakuso - Gagaku Vols 1 & 2 (King Records) Another fine introduction to a deeply strange and beautiful musical form.
#4 In praise of Oxala and Other Gods (Nonesuch Explorer) - A must have album of South American folk music. The original fusion, and of immense power.
#5 Les Musiciens du Nil Vols 1 & 2 (Ocora) If I have a favourite, it is probably this. Powerful, almost funky music with roots in Pharonic Egypt. A must have album in any decent record collection IMHO.

More to follow...

advertisement

Back