advertisement

Joe Walsh & Ringo Talking to Rolling Stone about being Clean and Sober

jackbarron

Chelsea, London
Joe Walsh and Ringo Starr have been clean and sober for over 25 years. They are brother's-in-law though being married to one of the Bach sisters, Marjorie and Barbara. The four of them have been collectively clean for more than a century.

Rolling Stone have done an interview with Joe and Ringo about getting clean. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...InIeLbSNwVucEIyi8SWjDRYoBSzvEUSjZRnWmKBzpsuNQ

There is footage of Joe giving a speech at New York's Rainbow Room, after being presented with an award for activism in the addiction recovery community. His opening line is "How are you doing? I'm Joe, I'm an alcoholic. And I'm fond of other things too."

The article includes footage of recoverees Vince Gill and Michael McDonald performing with Joe.

Ringo and Joe talk about how 45 million families are under the spectre of addiction in America. Opioids are a massive problem. He thinks many of the new generation of musicians coming through are steering clear of drink and drugs. There are still victims though.

"The discussion is very difficult," says Ringo, "because we did as much as anybody did and we’re still here and we’re sober, and there’s no telling when that day is when you leave. I don’t know why Tom [Petty]’s gone and I’m here. It’s unanswerable. But I know in the bands I hang out with, there’s a pretty — not absolutely — but a pretty large sober mentality going on now."

If you had a chance to ask Ringo what he did on Christmas Day, my guess is he'd say he put his recovery first.

Jack

Last edited:
That's a good article. I now understand Vince's dedication to his brother on one of the album songs.

Joe doing Life's Been Good never gets old btw :)

advertisement

Back