advertisement

João Gilberto RIP.

I know there was a lot more to him than 'Ipanema', but that song always transports me back to a particular time in my life.
RIP João Gilberto, and thank you for the music...

My parents had the Getz/Gilberto album when I was a kid. I certainly remember The Girl From Ipanema, with vocals by Astrud Gilberto.

In the linked BBC article above it says "For the past decade, João Gilberto lived alone in Rio, struggling with mental health and financial issues." That's sad to read.

RIP Joao Gilberto.

Jack

I have just been listening to this which I was lucky enough to pick up a few years ago. It is sad to hear that he was struggling with mental health issues.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I shall dig out my Getz-Gilberto tomorrow. A sad loss but a decent enough innings I suppose, at 88.

A lot of fantastic music. And relationships with seemingly everyone he worked with, and his wives and children, that make Mark E Smith look laid back by comparison! The double edged sword of perfectionism.

Huge fan of Bossa Nova here - my partner is Brazilian which helps!.

Whilst the Getz/Gilerto album is great, it is Bossa 'acquired' by Getz. He, unlike many who follwed, treated it well but the real deal are the albums by Jobim, Gilberto, Vinicius de Moraes etc.

And this:

Joao_Gilberto_-_Chega_de_Saudade.jpg

Is where it starts; the first real bossa album recorded in 1959.

Then check out anything on the Elenco label - which had fantastic cover art too.

Doug

advertisement

Back