advertisement

Jitter

JOHN VAN BAVEL

pfm Member
I guess I have it . Everyone will tell me I have it and that it is spoiling my enjoyment [ Astin Trew 3500 , Lavardin Is special and Living Voice Avatars ] . But I do not know what it sounds like or how to recognise it or even more importantly how to get rid of it . Help .

I guess I have it . Everyone will tell me I have it and that it is spoiling my enjoyment [ Astin Trew 3500 , Lavardin Is special and Living Voice Avatars ] . But I do not know what it sounds like or how to recognise it or even more importantly how to get rid of it . Help .

I bet you haven't got any audible jitter.

Wait for it.

Confused on two points here:
1. If you don't know what jitter sounds like, why do you think it's conspicuous in your system?
2. How can your friends adjudicate whether you're enjoying it?

Jitter is a wide-band artefact: it's present in every digital transfer, but usually only an 'issue' in time/voltage-sensitive audio equipment. The solution is always the same: better clocking - better components and better protection of them from parasitic noise.

There are several clock upgrades available for your AT3500, but it's none too shabby a transport in stock form. Perhaps you don't like the basic signature of your DAC, or the horns are a bit bright and honky in your room. The only way forward is to try a few alternatives at home - and/or room treatments.

But in order to make a targeted recommendation, it would be helpful to know exactly what your system does that spoils your listening pleasure!

advertisement

Back