advertisement

Jimi Hendrix died 50 years ago today

He was a showman and I wish I had seen him play.

I like to hear Mitch Mitchell playing as well.

The connection Jimi had with England is interesting.

I still like playing his records. I can get into them.

You know, that guitarist that Miles Davis admired.

Indeed. For me Hendrix was in a totally different league to the other ‘virtuoso’ rock guitarists (Clapton, Page, Beck, Howe, Zappa, anyone). Just not comparable in any way as he wasn’t a ‘rock’ guitarist in any normal sense. He could have been an amazing jazz musician and I’d have loved to have seen what he could have brought to the unbelievably good bands Miles was assembling around that time. I suspect he had only just started at the time he died. RIP.

I just found out today that the press officer of the hospital where Hendrix was pronounced dead, and thus the guy who announced his death to the world’s press, was my mate’s great uncle.

I'm not sure Clapton, Beck etc have anything much to do with Hendrix either. His playing is so loose and free and there's a love of pure sound - feedback, distortion, noise - that sets him apart.

Hendrix almost became part of his guitar; he was a complete natural.

I see there is a new Hendrix release:

The 1967 Broadcast Album

It's TV broadcast stuff, probably of variable quality, but it has a great sleeve!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Watched the Woodstock performance on the big telly last night. Blimey.
I do think they should have gone on the night before rather than deciding to close it out.
Shame you can only hear Jimi, Mitch and Billy Cox for large parts...were the others deliberately turned down (record company were keen on the trio sound/pushing Jimi?) or was it just the chaos at the mixing desk at the end of a heavy weekend?
I haven't seen the full version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Woodstock_(Jimi_Hendrix_album)

I have the albums that Jimi recorded with the Experience and also the BoGs double,Cry of Love and 'Blues' which I consider essential but some of the other releases seem a bit iffy. What other albums do you guys consider essential?

advertisement

Back