advertisement

Jim White? any views

Tweakmaster

pfm Member
Was recommended Jim White 'Wrong eyed Jesus!' by a guy ... went out and bought it ... completely hated it the first play .... gave it a second listen and it started to grow .... now I can't stop playing it!!

One of those albums! perhaps this thread should be 'albums you hated at first but are now desert island discs'

Don't know much about the guy ... some of Tom waits band on the album and he sounds a bit in places like he is trying to copy the style ...but overall a really good listen with a good variety of sounds ... the track 'Wordmule' will likely end up as a Hifi show favourite and get played to death!

Wrong Eyed Jesus is the only one I've heard but I really really like it. It's worth watching the film if you can get hold of it too, lots of interviews with other cool Americana-y people.

Film? sounds interesting, I'll have to look out for that!

I was told there is another album by him, virtually as good ( has a dog on the front cover ) looks like I'll be going down to HMV again!

Makes you think though ... if I had just gone onto i-tunes and previewed this I would never have bought it .... does this mean the download generation are only buying instantly likeable ( but ultimately bland ) music? ..... are we all just going to end up listening to Jack Johnson??? Yikes!!

His album with Nina Nastasia is interesting and good. Seen him a few times on drums for various bands, Nick Cave, Cat Power etc. Steve Albini rates him as best drummer around too.

edit: different Jim White!!

I'v not heard 'Wrong eyed Jesus' but do have 'Transnormal Skiperoo' which is a pretty good listen, couple of really strong tracks on it IMHO.

advertisement

Back