advertisement

Jessops Going

Again? Isn’t this owned by Peter Jones now?

only the leasehold property arm of it.. it’s his intention to keep the company going and this is the sacrifice. So yes ships will close. Retaining trade in its freehold properties..?

Tough for a Camera & Photo chain to survive the onslaught of the camera phone. Luckily still plenty of good independents around.

Luckily still plenty of good independents around.

Really? I'd be interested to know where you live, as I might move there. My nearest Jessops is Manchester and the only camera shops nearby are LCE (hardly independent but I like them), Real Cameras (catering to a very different market), and WEX (not really on the high street). Oh, and the Leica shop. After that I have Chester, north Wales and Sheffield, all a major trip out.

In Birmingham, where I used to live and still visit, I can't think of anywhere other than Jessops.

I’m in Edinburgh today and walked past what looked like an absolutely fabulous camera shop earlier. Don’t often see them though.

I’m in Edinburgh today and walked past what looked like an absolutely fabulous camera shop earlier. Don’t often see them though.

The one on Monringside Road? I lived in Edinburgh before living in Birmingham and Manchester, but never new of that place until a few years ago, since loads of others have shut. I even spent a few weeks living around the corner from in on Monrningside Place.

decent one down by the market car park in Glasgow too, or was 2 years back. Think they are still there. Wex is in the North of the City and jessops (was). All 80 miles from me and nearest.

Park Cameras are remarkably successful - £24m sales, 20% gross profit and 6% net profit. To make a profit on a 20% retail gross margin is very good (I appreciate they are also online). Jessops sell little that you wouldn't get on Amazon.

Leica Duke Street, Red Dot, Classic Camera and LCE the Strand for me. Park Cameras in Rathbone Place is excellent.

advertisement

Back