Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Jelco SA-375h (Sumiko MMT) Tonearm

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by lencotweaker, Dec 11, 2019.

1. lencotweaker

lencotweaker Mostly dreaming of record players

For sale is a Jelco SA-375h tonearm which I have owned from new. These are a Sumiko MMT in all but name as the Sumiko was an OEM Jelco of this design. They sound basically the same as the SA-750d and derivatives which I have owned and compared side by side with this on the same deck. I originally bought two of these for side to side cartridge comparisons but they never got much use as it was on a rarely used second deck.

This has a number of upgrades from standard in that it was rewired by Audio Origami from new (£150). I also added a much sturdier Ammonite Audio arm collar/base (£50) and an Isokinetic upgrade counterweight (£110) - The original collar and weight are included.

£350 inc UK post. Elsewhere at cost.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

grahamfocal likes this.
  2. lencotweaker

3. lencotweaker

4. lencotweaker

5. lencotweaker

Super tonearm

6. lencotweaker

A lot of quality here...

7. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Have a bump on me, I had one of these years ago on an LP12, it was a lovely arm. I switched it out for an Ittok, but in hindsight, I probably wouldn’t have done.

8. lencotweaker

I did the opposite and swapped the Ittok for a Jelco, which was clearly better. Suddenly musicians had correct scale in the soundstage and it was just more musical and swinging. Things like trumpets had proper 'bite' when needed and there was just more 'snap' to rhythm sections. I was very pleased at the time, especially as it flew in the face of the usual internet wisdom of the day :-D I'm not surprised Linn are using a variant of this arm on their Majik LP12's.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  9. linnfomaniac83

The new Majik arm is a Jelco unit but I don’t think it’s quite up to the standard of this one, it has a much simpler bearing assembly and a straight arm tube, and a fixed head shell. These look and feel like a serious bit of kit and the main reason I changed it was that mine needed an internal re-wire, I was offered an Ittok already on an arm board so it was a pretty easy swap... I was never that happy with the Ittok, it tracked version well but was lacking in excitement. It took an Ekos 2 to really get the magic back, and those are much dearer than this Jelco. Simply put, if I were in the position to build myself another LP12 right now, I’d have bought this. They’re really nice arms.

Mine was the Sumiko variant BTW, and so far as I can tell, the only difference is the screen printing (there’s less of it on the Sumiko) and the supplied head shell (the one that came with the Sumiko is the same as the one that now comes with the SA-750).

10. lencotweaker

Yes the Linn Majik is based off the Jelco 250ST base that was often used on Revolver, Mission and other OEM decks back in the day. I had a Mission 774LC of this type years ago and it was very good. The 375h design (Sumiko, Nakamichi, Koetsu, Audioquest and I think even Graham used this basis for an OEM arm) went on to spawn the 750 series which I owned in SA-750d 9” and SA750-l 12” versions. All on different decks but the 375h, 750d and 750l where all clearly related and sound basically the same. Not a surprise I suppose since they really only differ in effective length.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  11. lencotweaker

Bump for the weekend for a great tonearm.

12. Weeman1973

Weeman1973 Big Country Member

Thinking of this for my LP12 to replace my Akito...

Is it a simple case of taking that off and replacing with the Jelco - same mounting and wouldn't have to change armboards (understand I'll probably need to re-level the LP12 after changing arm).

Thanks.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

If it's the same effective length (look up on Vinyl Engine) and mount then yes, unscrew one and attach the other. Possible suspension twiddling if the weights are different.

14. Weeman1973

Thanks but this is where I need clarification as can't find the spec for that arm on VE. I can find the Sumiko MMT which states it's mounting distance as 221mm whereas the Akito is 211mm which has me thinking I may need to change armboard as well.

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

If it's identical to a Sumiko MMT then yes, you need a new armboard or DIY the hole. I have ignored millimeters in the past, you can pick that up with the headshell, but this is 1cm and that makes a difference.

16. Weeman1973

Just seen on AoS where this is also advertised that it does indeed have 222mm effective length so would require a new armboard for the LP12 which then puts me out of budget I'm afraid.

GLWTS.

17. lencotweaker

Yes it’s Rega geometry at 222mm spindle to pivot so you would need a new armboard

18. lencotweaker

19. linnfomaniac83

If you can find a suitable arm board and make it work in your budget, I’d recommend it, it’ll spank a MK1 Akito.

20. ralphj

ralphj pfm Member

PM sent