1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeff Koons' $91M Rabbit

Discussion in 'off topic' started by vuk, May 17, 2019.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

2. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Vuk,

Can it outwit a bull?

Joe

3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Infinitely more distasteful than the sculpture is that $91M could probably have saved the lives of thousands of people in 3rd world countries without health provision such as Africa and USA .... Bring on that giant asteroid...

sean99 likes this.
  4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

5. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

Nearly accepted a job as a project manager in a firm in Los Angeles fabricating those! (Among others) ... kind of regret not taking the offer.

6. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I've seen it in the flesh, it's a remarkable thing. Unreal that its metal. But that much money, tsssk.

7. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

not this one:

[​IMG]

mandryka likes this.
  8. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

9. deebster

deebster pfm Member

The ears look like inflatable dinghies

Quite glad that I just don't get most of what passes for modern art. A pickled half cow, a tent with blokes' names on? Crocks of shit.

Which I'm now going to market as an existential commentary on the wasteful society in which we live

10. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Yes. Are you giving them away ?

TheDecameron likes this.
  11. deebster

deebster pfm Member

12 mil a piece mate, or 5 for 50

It's a steal

Gerard124 likes this.
  12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Conceptual art is not my favourite art form (I far prefer mid-century abstract expressionism etc), but to my mind Tracy Emin (tent etc) has a lot more to her than the pure consumerism of Koons, Hirst etc. There is a real rawness and bravery to her work, she lays herself absolutely bare and I’m in little doubt she’s the real deal. I’ve also a lot of time for Anthony Gormley, Jeremy Deller, Cornelia Parker and a few others. Koons and Hirst are lightweights IMHO; art as a Thatcherite free-market commodity/trinket for multi-£bn pound corporations or Russian gangsters, which is a pretty lame message for allegedly conceptual art!

13. venton

venton pfm Member

I love it.

Bananahead and TheDecameron like this.
  14. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

For sure, on permanent loan.

I would name him Harvey, and use him in the hall for a hat stand

Bloss

vuk likes this.
  15. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Hirst had an exhibition of Koon's work in his Newport Street gallery a few years ago. It was brilliant! https://www.newportstreetgallery.com/exhibition/jeff-koons-now/ From the early basketball / vacuum cleaner sculptures to the graphic Cicciolina photos to the 'looks like it's an inflatable but no its made of metal sculptures'. I went to Bilbao about 20 years ago and the 50 foot tall Puppy work outside the Guggenheim was something else!

venton likes this.
  16. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

does it take batteries?

Wilson likes this.
  17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No, I'd have a Giacometti instead. If that's over budget, I'd make a replica, oh sorry "homage" in papier mache , and if I like the results I'll get it cast in bronze. Probably still have 90,999,000 change or so.

venton and lazycat like this.
  18. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I would need a bigger house.

19. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

It's shit. If it were 2" tall and made of plastic you'd think "Oh, a small shit plastic thing". But because it's big and made of shiny steel somehow it qualifies as art.
    People who buy this crap need composting :);)

20. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Oh please don't start on the,'oh it needs to be X before it's art and because it's Y it isn't art'. I didn't buy a few Banksy canvases in 2002 because they were, well, just stencils on canvas. Going for the £350 each. Ouucch!
    Fortunately I redeemed my mistakes and have a relatively healthy collection of his work.
    Art is of course what you don't think it could or should be. Long may that continue!