advertisement

Jeff Buckley

OffColour

pfm Member
OK, so Jeff Buckley is supposed to be wonderful, "Grace" an album from the Angels.

Well, after a few listens I can honestly say, what the hell is all the fuss about???

I admit it's not my usual sort of music (thrash, hardcore, metal and other very noisy stuff), but I do like Leonard Cohen, Tori Amos, Edie Brickell, Eddi Reader and a fair bit of classical. Jeff Buckley just managed to bore the hell out of me.

Is this heresy?

Gary

Yes, it's heresy. Great album, needs a great system to really do it justice :p

jtc

I saw a documentary about him a couple of weeks ago on TV. Jimmy Page sung his praises, and someone else said that he was basically like Page and Plant rolled into one.
He definitely had great vocal abilities, but it didn't inspire me to go out and buy.
Maybe if I happen to see it in a cheapo or s/h sale somewhere.

I saw that Jeff Buckley programme as well and I'm tempted to try out the vinyl version of Grace. But it's on Simply Vinyl and I've heard they can be of variable quality - anyone got any experience of this one?

I've got a copy of Grace on CD and also on the SV 180g release. I'd recommend the SV release, for once. There's a more natural sound, and of course there's little or no hope of finding an original pressing of Grace, as it made nary a dent on the album charts and the only original copy I ever saw quickly popped well over £30 on EPay (I ducked out at £21, cheapskate). Dunno what it finally went for, but it's such a great album IMO that it's worth having both on CD and vinyl. YMMV.

jtc

PS. The CD is one that sounded better to my ears on a lesser Naim system than the CDS3/552/500 at Robert Ritchies - proof, if it is needed, that not every recording sounds better as you go up the upgrade ladder...

I saw Jeff Buckley live in (I think) 1995. He came across as a soulful, charismatic philosopher/poet. His band wasn't bad, but clearly it was Jeff who was the spell-weaver. Damn fine concert. A shame he isn't with us today.

jonathan carr

Hi Jonathan,

My wife rues the day she passed up on the chance to see Jeff Buckley live here in Edinburgh. I think Grace had just been released, and was making nary a dent on the album charts. She'd heard of him by dint of being well into her music and gigs, and she had the chance to see him at a small, intimate venue. I can't remember why she didn't go, but of course it's all water under the bridge now, and now we have lost one of the potentially great artistes of the new millennium...

jtc

advertisement

Back