advertisement

Jeff Beck - Truth

MichaelC

pfm Member
Inspired by the Clapton hissy thread I simply had to play some Beck.

What a debut??? Rod on possibly his finest form and, well, if you want a guitar god, don't look to Clapton look to Beck instead.

Mind you, that chap, Hendrix isn't half bad.

As a guitar player myself, I find I generally run across three kinds of guitar playing. There's the stuff I hear and know exactly what the guy is doing, and I could do it too; stuff where I know what he's doing but I can't do it (usually because the player is fast, and I'm just not); and then there's the stuff where I have no idea how the sounds are being made.

The majority of Beck's playing is of this last type. Even after watching video, carefully and in slo-mo, I often can't figure out what he's doing. There's just a disconnect between the apparent motions and the resulting sounds. Completely personal and original. He's the only guitarist mentioned on this thread so far that fits that category.

What about Hendrix? Can you "do" him ?

Hendrix definitely falls into Kasperhauser's Category 2 - someone familiar with guitar can tell what he's doing, there's nothing particularly magical about it. Executing it is another story, it's difficult to match Hendrix' feel and timing.

There are many, many great guitarists out there, Rory Gallagher a good example. Another to throw into the mix I reckon is Alan Holdsworth.

Technically brilliant as many of them are I can only do them in small doses; I need the songs, the music, the vibe, the whatever - perhaps that is why I am such a fan of Neil Young and Steve Hillage (70s era in particular), very different, yet do it for me.

I need the songs, the music, the vibe, the whatever...

I have friends who seem to think that a song is just a vehicle for musicians to show their prowess, but they've got it backwards - the musicianship is there to serve the song.

The other thing that sets Jeff Beck apart is his approach to live work had always been more spontaneous and adventurous than his peers in the rock world, probably as a result of him having spent a lifetime playing with monster musicians.

Clapton, Page and Hendrix were always better on the records and didn't take the kind of risks live that Beck always has.

Some might disagree with regards to Hendrix, but I'm talking about musical risks, rather than setting fire to guitars and wearing women's clothing.

Which of course is still impressive in its own way.

I never got Jeff Beck (and I tried because I own 'Truth'). A creative musician and a virtuoso, but to me his playing lacks balls somehow. Sometimes I think the music he plays would sound better on a violin.

I've always been a big fan of Jimi Hendrix but no one has mentioned Frank Zappa a true virtuoso, JJ Cale had some much feel to his playing very dynamic and effortless.
Another great guitar player is Stephen Stills seen him many times plays fantastic electric as well as acoustic.

Regards,

Martin

I'll have to have another listen to "Truth" but generally I just don't rate Beck... I've tried "live at Ronnie Scotts" etc and a few others but although his playing is virtuoso it leaves me 100% cold. Hendrix and Green are in a different league!

Loads of top players, I really like Steve Cropper, Skunk Baxter & countless other session gunslingers who don’t get the credit.

Played this for the 1st time in about 30years MFSL version is Fab
I got the 2x45 LP yesterday. haven’t had a chance to play it yet - probably tomorrow. I’ve got an original LP so it will be an interesting comparison. Personally, this is one of my ‘foundation’ records - along with Bringing It All Back Home & Fresh Cream!

advertisement

Back