advertisement

JBL reissuing the L100 monitor

There are new JBL L100s (JBL)! Right down to the cool orange or blue grilles! Won’t be cheap, but .....

Why? Is the question that springs to mind....

$4k worth of Orange, come on you have to have a pair!

xdrv2q.jpg

They're cheating. It has a titanium tweeter...wonder if the crossovers are the simple ones or if they have LF cuts, too. My L100s sound better without the midrange (then called L80 or similar).
I hope they can supply the foams as spares at a better price than on ePay...

How do you know they are awful, they've only just be launched?

Supposed to be re-issue of old L100 are they not? I've heard these on a few occasions and always been shocked at how bad they are for a speaker at that price. A mate bought a mint pair from an auction and we both stood there gob smacked at how they got away with selling these for that sort of money.. he managed to pass them on within a couple of days but they only lasted about 20 mins in his system....

Supposed to be re-issue of old L100 are they not? I've heard these on a few occasions and always been shocked at how bad they are for a speaker at that price. A mate bought a mint pair from an auction and we both stood there gob smacked at how they got away with selling these for that sort of money.. he managed to pass them on within a couple of days but they only lasted about 20 mins in his system....
Think more along the lines of the 'new' Mini.

You (collectively) obviously weren't playing them loud enough.:D

Last edited:
It's been a decade since I bought any hifi at all, and the Yamaha 1000x have been fantastic for nearly 13 years. But things change, and in a few weeks new "L100" speakers will be here.
First impressions are that these bear very little relation to the original L100 series, but are somewhat similar to the LSR6332 of recent memory with a little warmth and funk in the mix and a great aesthetic. Homey versions of a great studio monitor in other words. Markus would have appreciated these.
I'll also be replacing my venerable Luxman 570z's and broken CDP with some stuff that glows gently in the dark. Oh, and a remote control, streaming and Alexa (because I work for The Man).

Rather colored I thought when I first heard them, but very impressive on rock music!
I wanted some speakers that were more neutral, so I bought a pair of Kef 104s.
No doubt the JBLs suited others’ ears and systems.
As I have said before, horses for courses...

I'll also be replacing my venerable Luxman 570z's and broken CDP with some stuff that glows gently in the dark. Oh, and a remote control, streaming and Alexa (because I work for The Man).

Nice to see you on here again, Joel. Send me the 570.

It's been a decade since I bought any hifi at all, and the Yamaha 1000x have been fantastic for nearly 13 years. But things change, and in a few weeks new "L100" speakers will be here.
First impressions are that these bear very little relation to the original L100 series, but are somewhat similar to the LSR6332 of recent memory with a little warmth and funk in the mix and a great aesthetic. Homey versions of a great studio monitor in other words. Markus would have appreciated these.

And send me the 1000X's, pretty please! :)

There are new JBL L100s (JBL)! Right down to the cool orange or blue grilles! Won’t be cheap, but a world in which one can still buy JBL L100s, Tannoy Ardens, Klipschorns and LS3/5As is not a bad world!

Their own websites description of them made me smile... to wit...

" 12” 3-way Bookshelf Loudspeaker "

Thats one hell of a shelf you are going to need there.

And send me the 1000X's, pretty please! :)
Sure. If I decide to keep the JBLs you can have the Yamahas. Hello Tigerjones, nice to be back. You can have the Luxman on the same basis. FYI, I think it's set up for 100v only. I've gotten over a decades worth of great service from this equipment that I picked up quite cheaply to begin with, and for which the resale value here is low. I had speakers and amp serviced in 2015 by the nice people at HiFiDo.
There is a catch, however - shippping from Japan - which I am not prepared to pay. I can get an estimate for packing and shipping. PM if serious.
Cool! With orange grilles I hope? The blue ones are pretty cool too.
Much as I love orange, blue works best in our living room. Also my wife is a fan of Haruki Murakami who is a bit of a JBL fanboy and has mentioned the "blue speakers" in interviews.
The new JBLs and 1000x are similarly sized overall, although the former are much lighter at only 26kg each and are also deeper than either Yamahas or original L100s. The bookshelf would have to be quite sturdy in addition to being quite large.
I think the JBL metal stands for the new L100s are too low - although I can see how they might work in a wooden house. So I will be sticking with the JBL 4312 stands for the time-being. May well break out the autocad and get my fabricator to fabricate something more stable and attractive, however.

advertisement

Back