advertisement

JBL 4430 build

ff1d1l

pfm Member
I made the decision to try and make a pair of these iconic monitors when I lucked into two pairs of the rare 2235H 15" bass drivers. I decided to keep an eye on ebay for the other necessary parts - the 2426 pressure drivers, and the 2344 butt-cheek horn. I also kept a watch for the crossovers, but soon realised these came up rather less often than well polished rocking horse turds.

A pair of NOS horns came from the USA. A good pair of 2426 pressure drivers were also snagged. The Lansing Heritage site was immeasurably helpful, with cab drawings, crossover discussions and opinions and pictures from people who have done this before.

I decided to up the spec from the 3/4 chipboard of the original, to 24mm birch ply. A place in Llandudno junction cut to size - I resized to retain the same internal volume as the JBL originals.
ajqqg9.jpg

2ltm2rs.jpg

I made a compass fitting for one of the routers to cut the holes in the baffle, the square hole was cut using a milling machine with a router. The pipe for the ports is from Screwfix, a couple of mm different diameter but tuned to 29Hz, on Lansing Heritage advice (the originals were tuned to 34hz).
dh36g7.jpg

Got some walnut veneer on ebay - only one vendor had it wide enough.
118oaja.jpg

Meanwhile I ordered Clarity Caps, Mundorf resistors and Jantzen coils from Hi Fi Collective. The L Pads and wirewound pots took some locating, but eventually tracked some down. The original JBL knobs came from Japan and were an eye watering £60 for 4.
3145i6h.jpg

I got some Radian diaphragms from Thomann, to replace the original titanium JBL ones - the Radians sound far better. The cloth was from ebay, and the frames are magnetically attached. Ebay supplied the foilcals too - not original, but very crisp and plausible.

Interestingly, the suspensions in the 2235Hs very noticeably loosened up, the volume needing to be lower and the bass getting huge and low over the few days of running in.

11hw4jk.jpg

2w1woj8.jpg

Be exhibiting these at Kegworth next sunday, if anyone is attending.

24mm birch ply? Bloody Nora, that's enough. I have just replaced my shed roof, I used some bits of 19mm ply that I was given. 19mm in shed roof sizes is strong enough to take my entire weight, I couldn't get access to one side so I had to lie on the roof and nail the felt on. 24mm in speaker dimensions is going to be stiff enough to park a car on.

looks fabulous - time for disco !
really well done. easy if u can fix violins

2235 are excellent woofers
i modified an old pair of L200 s made them 3 way by adding appropriate tweeters (forgot jbl number)
and put it all it cabs like yrs
but the LE15B woofers are poor...

And what amplification are you going to use with these beauties? I'd love to see hear an all JBL system.

Sadly I can't make Kegworth on Sunday.

And what amplification are you going to use with these beauties? I'd love to see hear an all JBL system.

Sadly I can't make Kegworth on Sunday.
I'm using a JVC M L-10 with a homebuilt silver transformer passive.
I was very happy with the sound at Kegworth - I had the same room as last year, and got a sound I thought optimum then too.
Had a lot of return-for-a-second-listeners.:) Covered all sorts of music, Rammstein to Vaughan Williams.
cb3f3bf6ce4b23e68fe17ac65e1254586a7beeee_2_999x750.jpeg

57e508c6387ca074d5091eb37caae2015639f37b_2_999x750.jpeg

When I got back, following a conversation with Steve57 at Kegworth I did some cross bracing of the cabs internally which gave worthwhile further improvement in bass focus. So thanks for the heads up there Steve.

They are still running in - they now need the volume control 3 clicks down from when I first fired them up, and the bass has changed beyond recognition, for the better.

These sounded bloody great. I couldn't believe they weren't three ways the xo was seamless.

Great job

advertisement

Back