advertisement

Jazz

Check out the Mancunian trumpeter Matthew Halsall. He is doing some superb stuff IMO.

Want something a bit off the wall, modern - try The Necks, sort of jazz meets trance/house. They have a few fans here on PFM and it might take a few listens to get used to their music. Try this - seriously, seriously good once you get into it, immensely simple and immensely complicated at the same time, a fantastic workout for your ears and brain -

How about Melanie de Biasio? Jeez, that REALLY is cerebral, fantastic music. Mind-numbingly good live...…………………….

LLLOL
I would suggest that the many and very various suggestions would illustrate my point - jazz is a HUMUNGOUSLY varied thing, as with all other high level genre.

Maybe the OP will learn to love all that is called jazz - I know that I will not. I do love lots of West Coast/Cool and modern/fusion, as for the rest - it is a whole collection of stand-out individuals and individual pieces that appeal.

Why has no-one mentioned Nina Simone so far???????? A unique goddess of jazz/blues/folk (IMO).

The other thing to do is get Kind of Blue. There are at least 3 geniuses on it, explore from there.
I've had that LP a while, in general i like the blusier jazz, but I also love stuff like Coltrane 'favourite things' and one of my fave lPs 'Giant steps' - that is so uplifting.

Here are three that get regular airtime with me;

Not Albert Ayler!!! That stuff makes your ears bleed. I do like Sonny Sharrock's LP 'Black woman' though, that is also quite extreme, but blusier. Ayler reminds me of avant classical stuff like Schoenberg.

Not Albert Ayler!!! That stuff makes your ears bleed. I do like Sonny Sharrock's LP 'Black woman' though, that is also quite extreme, but blusier. Ayler reminds me of avant classical stuff like Schoenberg.

I've heard that said about Ayler, but it's not what I hear - Spiritual Unity is for the most part elegiac and contemplative - listen past the first few minutes.

Anyway, any thread that talks about West Coast cool jazz needs to be suitably rebalanced;

Want something a bit off the wall, modern - try The Necks, sort of jazz meets trance/house. They have a few fans here on PFM and it might take a few listens to get used to their music.
I’m listening to ‘Mindset’ right now. Great stuff, but needs to be at a decent level.
Not Albert Ayler!!! That stuff makes your ears bleed.
I sort of understand - I find just his tone to be quite harrowing, in a disturbing way.

Once I compiled this list of my favourite "classics" (only one album per artist):

• Art Blakey "Moanin'"
• Art Pepper "Meets The Rhythm Section"
• Art Tatum "Piano Starts Here"
• Ben Webster "Soulville"
• Benny Carter "Jazz Giant"
• Bill Evans "Waltz For Debbie"
• Benny Goodman "The Benny Goodman Story" (I prefer his small group to his big band)
• Cannonball Adderley "Something Else"
• Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um"
• Chet Baker "Chet"
• Coleman Hawkins "The Genius Of Coleman Hawkins"
• Dexter Gordon "Go!"
• Django Reinhardt "Djangology"
• Duke Ellington & John Coltrane "In a Sentimental Mood"
• Eric Dolphy "Eric Dolphy In Europe"
• Erroll Garner "Concert By The Sea"
• Gene Ammons "Boss Tenor"
• Grant Green "Idle Moments"
• John Coltrane "Blue Train"