advertisement

Jazz

Frankiesays

Rats is life.
Seen as I've been getting into this genre for the past year, thought I'd start an open ended thread on it. What do people listen to, favourite lps etc. I'm quite new to it myself, so have just been buying better known artists on classic labels like Blue Note and Prestige. One thing I find is that alot of the 50s/60s stuff is hard to tell apart, but come the 70s, then different songs are more memorable, and artists develop more of a persona. Just discoverd Horace Silvers 'Total response' and it is incredible, some of the lyrics are hilarious, but the tunes are awesome, I guess this is straying into soul/jazz territory, which makes it more listenable and hence memorable, or may'be its just Silver, his only other 2 lps I know are 'Songs for my father' and Cape verde blues', both contain very strong tunes, rather than the endless monotone trumpet playng of various other Blue noters.......... I really like 70s jazz in general and its various cross overs, anything else to reccomend?

Check out some Jaco Pastorius with Weather Rerport and on his own. Also Herbie Hancock from the '70s period and of course Miles.

Interested. This might stop my higgledy piggledy method of taking in jazz. I have no clue.

Jazz is no different to R&R, C&W, Folk,, Blues and as a real extreme example, Classical. They are each a catch-all genre that covers zillions of different styles and forms, so of pretty much little or no use for most people when working out what they like, unless you happen to like (virtually) ALL Jazz, R&R, C&W, Folk, Blues or Classical, or whatever...……....

I like loads of Classical, but Baroque covers the great majority of what I especially like.
I like loads of Jazz, but West-Coast/Cool covers a great deal of what I like.

and so on...………………………..

Jazz alone has been split/classified into a huge number of sub-genre - you can find as many as 40, or probably more.

Seen as I've been getting into this genre for the past year, thought I'd start an open ended thread on it. What do people listen to, favourite lps etc. I'm quite new to it myself, so have just been buying better known artists on classic labels like Blue Note and Prestige. One thing I find is that alot of the 50s/60s stuff is hard to tell apart, but come the 70s, then different songs are more memorable, and artists develop more of a persona. Just discoverd Horace Silvers 'Total response' and it is incredible, some of the lyrics are hilarious, but the tunes are awesome, I guess this is straying into soul/jazz territory, which makes it more listenable and hence memorable, or may'be its just Silver, his only other 2 lps I know are 'Songs for my father' and Cape verde blues', both contain very strong tunes, rather than the endless monotone trumpet playng of various other Blue noters.......... I really like 70s jazz in general and its various cross overs, anything else to reccomend?
Leave the internet radio stations on - eg Jazz24, France Musique la Jazz, TSF Jazz, FIP (others are available) and you’ll soon pick up on a few things that interest you. Then one thing should lead to another...

Sounds like a good time to explore Ornette Coleman. Try “The Shape of Jazz to Come”. I guarantee it won’t sound like anything else from 1959...
Very accessible tunes.

Discovered Thelonius Monks 'Brilliant corners' recently, its from a slightly earlier period than what I've been listening to, but its amazing. Really like hearing double bass on my improved hifi set up!

Check out some Jaco Pastorius with Weather Rerport and on his own. Also Herbie Hancock from the '70s period and of course Miles.
I've got quite a few Hancock 70s lps, they are interesting, the trilogy that ends with 'Sextant', very experimental, afro futurism sort of thing. Really love all the electronic ambient sounds he creates. What an innovator.

Jazz is no different to R&R, C&W, Folk,, Blues and as a real extreme example, Classical. They are each a catch-all genre that covers zillions of different styles and forms, so of pretty much little or no use for most people when working out what they like, unless you happen to like (virtually) ALL Jazz, R&R, C&W, Folk, Blues or Classical, or whatever...……....

I like loads of Classical, but Baroque covers the great majority of what I especially like.
I like loads of Jazz, but West-Coast/Cool covers a great deal of what I like.

and so on...………………………..

Jazz alone has been split/classified into a huge number of sub-genre - you can find as many as 40, or probably more.
What artists are typically 'West coast'?

Indeed it is complicated..... I suppose that was my point. Does anyone REALLY like all jazz enough to buy any and all, given the chance and ££?

Very interesting that Mr Preview makes the list of West Coast that you have linked to, Weekender. As he died recently, I have caught a few pieces by him on the radio recently, played by way of tribute on various programmes. I detest piano music in the main but jazz is an exception and some of Mr Preview's stuff is very good.

This distorts in bursts on my laptop, but give it a try -

Last edited:
Here's a short primer on West Coast Jazz with some good listening recommendations at the end.
https://www.allaboutjazz.com/cool-thoughts-on-west-coast-jazz-by-geoff-roach.php

Compared to East Coast hard bop West Coast jazz was a bit more laid-back (or polite depending on your point of view), a bit more white, a bit more conservatoire trained and more likely to use counterpoint and so on.

That's obviously a massive generalisation but I don't think it's a stretch to hear East Coast jazz as the sound of the hustle and bustle of NYC and West Coast jazz as the sound of a convertible on an open road cruising past the Pacific ocean.

A new one for me, thanks, very chilled.

Modern jazz is just as complicated as a great deal is fusion jazz and some albums will leap around a bit. There are umpteen sub-genre again...………….
Alfa Mist is great, arguably not entirely jazz if judged by purists I suspect - new release LP arriving today...………... I also like the Neil Cowley Trio. Just a couple of for instances.

advertisement

Back