advertisement

Jazz - Where next?

Seconded on Monk. You could do a lot worse than just splurge out and buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000000ZG5/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

And then spend the rest of 2009 listening to nothing else :)

If you search around, you may luck upon the LP set that was put out by Riverside years ago. Unfortunately I was in my "CD is better than records" phase and I opted for the CD set instead.

How we mature with age... or is it the other way?;)

I will certainly be sourcing some more Contemporary stuff. And Rollins.

I was at the record store yesterday and was fondling the Analogue Productions vinyl reissue of Way Out West, but I exerted self-control and will hold out til I can find a good Japanese version.

I did end up with 3 OJCs for less than 20 quid, a Speakers' Corner reissue of Out of the Afternoon (Kirk with Roy Haynes!!!) and the latest U2 album though.

d) Keith Jarrett - "My Song" (ECM)

An album produced during KJ's Scandinavian tour in the 70s and featuring the dazzling saxophony of one Jan Garbarek - CD only unfortunately....

This is an excellent KJ album -- Garbarek playing very lyrically and the cover charming (those girls look like they will be "friends forever"). I have this both on cd and LP.

All pre1990s ECM releases were available on vinyl. In fact, I just saw a sealed copy of Keith Jarrett's Standards Trio (deJohnette, Peacock) Still Live vinyl yesterday. Even in the late 1990s one could order direct from ECM Germany vinyl records of many, many ECM albums (I did).

Um...

3344913717_a6f0bfb228_b.jpg

"Jazz is there and gone. It happens. You have to be present for it. That simple."

Snap! :)

IMG_5955.jpg

I just went on a Blue Note LP buying binge. I recon these would all be worth having. All cheap re-issues, buy them while you can. Can't wait for them to arrive. ;)

Hank Mobley - Hank - 1957
Tina Brooks - True Blue -1960
Grant Green - Green Street -1961
Grant Green - Solid - 1964
Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame - 1960
Sonny Rollins - Newk Time -1958
Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer - 1964
Wayne Shorter - All Seeing Eye - 1965

Art Blakey recommendations:

Mosaic
Moanin'
The Big Beat
A Night in Tunisia
The Witch Doctor

Other recommendations:
Tina Brooks - Back to the Tracks
Sonny Clark - Cool Strutin'
Anything with Art Pepper

I'd be happy to add an album to these rec's. It has the same players as does Mosaic (Shorter, Hubbard, Fuller, etc.) and while Mosaic is very satisfying compositionally it doesn't have the spontaneity and drive of this: Free For All (Blue Note). Clean and vivid on the 2004 remaster. You'll want to have a fire extinquisher nearby for this one.

The Jazz Messengers were like a proving ground for young turks and on this one the Marsalis brothers are in the front line and a hip young pianist named Donald Brown: Live at Keystone 3 (Concord Jazz). Nice in the club atmosphere, too. Enjoy.

advertisement

Back