advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

Complete aside.. does anyone know why this 1987 OJC reissue of Workin was released on Riverside? o_O

https://www.discogs.com/release/16405335-The-Miles-Davis-Quintet-Workin-With-The-Miles-Davis-Quintet

Bet they just used the wrong label stock, still says Prestige on the cover! OJCs were very much a budget line, mostly lazy flat master transfers, which is why they sound so good! They date from the time every company was bulk reissuing everything on CD and they did a big run of vinyl for the mid-price bin too. Both vinyl and CD are great IMO, but the earliest US OJCs are the nicest with tip-on sleeves etc. I’ve got a few of them across Riverside, Prestige, Contemporary etc. Disappointing they are going to be another really expensive series, but hopefully they’ll be good and a few rare titles will get done.

No way at those prices.

Same here. Record companies seem to think inflation is running at 15% - 20%

I have a strict(ish) limit of £35 for a single LP which I'm trying to stick to.

Out of interest, in terms of raw economics, can anyone explain why TPs cost 40% more than BN classics? I can see there are greater costs in the sleeves and inners but where does the rest come from? The recent reissue of Nina Simone's Little Girl Blue was remastered by Kevin Gray and had a tip on sleeve yet was just over £20.

Is it to do with economies of scale for smaller runs or is the TP process ( and the OJC process) that much more expensive?

Out of interest, in terms of raw economics, can anyone explain why TPs cost 40% more than BN classics? I can see there are greater costs in the sleeves and inners but where does the rest come from? The recent reissue of Nina Simone's Little Girl Blue was remastered by Kevin Gray and had a tip on sleeve yet was just over £20.

RTI will be more expensive than Optimal (not that it's any better), as well as to ship from the US. I guess that high inflation on fuel prices and wage growth is common-ish to both. They are both imports, so there's duty and vat on the duty and shipping. I don't know how that compares but it all adds up. Tone Poets are $11 more in the US than Classics. Personally I'd rather have the Optimal pressings in a relatively plain sleeve.

I suspect they're priced at what UMG believe the market will support.

Jim, I'm willing to help. Just pile up the Blue Notes you don't have space for and I'll take them off your hands for £3 a pop. Cash. No questions asked. I'll even catch the bus round to you and collect.
I'll give you a lift for a share.

Same here. Record companies seem to think inflation is running at 15% - 20%

I have a strict(ish) limit of £35 for a single LP which I'm trying to stick to.

Is it to do with economies of scale for smaller runs or is the TP process ( and the OJC process) that much more expensive?
My limit for a single LP has been £40 for a long time, but I have only very rarely had to go over £35.

RTI will be more expensive than Optimal (not that it's any better), as well as to ship from the US. I guess that high inflation on fuel prices and wage growth is common-ish to both. They are both imports, so there's duty and vat on the duty and shipping. I don't know how that compares but it all adds up. Tone Poets are $11 more in the US than Classics. Personally I'd rather have the Optimal pressings in a relatively plain sleeve.
I agree with Gavin’s analysis and additionally while Kevin Gray mastered the 2021 ‘Little Girl Blue’ it is not clear o me that he mastered AAA and that the the European pressings were probably from a high res digital transfer at a European plant. Probably Optimal. Look at the present price of a pre order ‘1,000’ limited pressing copy on Amazon now that is probably copyright avoidance as it has a different cover.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BT54WKVL/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Prices of both Tone Poets and Blue Note Classics have increased in the US as well. Plenty of complaints there that TP’s are around $40 (£33) and Classics $25 (£21) now.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I agree with Gavin’s analysis and additionally while Kevin Gray mastered the 2021 ‘Little Girl Blue’ it is not clear o me that he mastered AAA and that the the European pressings were probably from a high res digital transfer at a European plant. Probably Optimal.

Are there any EU pressings? I’ve got the blue vinyl one and that is definitely USA. Says so on both the cover and label.

Look at the present price of a pre order ‘1,000’ limited pressing copy on Amazon now that is probably copyright avoidance as it has a different cover.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BT54WKVL/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

That’s a pirate for sure. Absolutely nothing to do with the previous Kevin Gray/Bethlehem issue.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My 2021 black vinyl Little Girl Blue Bethlehem / BMG issue says its a US pressing as well but I guess from a digital source as it doesn't say otherwise

I am really at the point where I am beginning to be repelled by the high prices being asked for many reissues. It was not so long ago that they were $20-25 but now are more $30-40 for the plain 'non audiophile' stuff. For instance, I like the Tone Poets but do consider them to be on the high side but now they have breached the $50 point (i.e. delivered, incl taxes & duties) so I am balking.

I only started buying more reissues during the pandemic when I could not access my regular used record stores. It now appears I need to step back and only buy the odd title or so. But, alas, the prices of many originals or earlier pressings also seem to have gotten ridiculous...

CDs then!

Apparently there are 20 titles in the new OJC series (initially?) although the list has not been released...

advertisement

Back